07.2 - Easton Zed

"Catch her!"

While a group of little girls were herded like sheep into the back gates one of Inops' many brothel houses, a twelve year-old girl suddenly took off running. Not only were the 3 guards surprised, the brothel owner who had been taking inventory of each little girl that passes through the backdoor, was shocked to see someone attempting to flee. It didn't matter if one was sold, kidnapped, or tricked, once she or he was taken to the red district – willing or unwilling, they are destined to live the rest of their lives as prostitutes. The group of little girls - even at a tender age, understood and accepted their fate as they entered the brothel house. Their minds had long been broken into believing that living as prostitutes was better than living hungry out in the dirty, dangerous city. At least in the brothel house, they have food to eat, clean water to drink, nice clothes to wear, and a bed to sleep in.

But there is one big problem to that matter.

The current soul within the twelve year-old girl was from a different world. Her mind worked differently; thus, she could not - would not ever accept selling her body for any means. She is shameless on many things, but she was also very prideful as an individual. The virtue rooted within her soul would never allow such exploitation upon the body. This is why as soon as the soul took over the little girl's body, she instantly made her escape.

"Close the gates!"

The two workers at the gates had been too surprised and did not react in time when the little figure rushed by them.

"You fool," The owner of the brothel shouted angrily. "Hurry and catch her."

Maida continued to run with all her might through the dirty alley filled with beggars and the homeless. Ignoring the angry shouts behind her, Maida focused on the light at the end of the narrow alley.

"I got you, you-little-bi_"

A man got a hold of Maida's arm just as she exited the alley. The soul within the little girl was a fighter so did not give up even when captured. In spite of her small fragile body, Maida knew enough self-defense to get away from the abductor. Kicking the man's family jewels, Maida shoved the man back toward the alley and use his fallen body to block the other abductors.

"What are you fools doing?" The brothel owner was at the end of the line when she saw the fallen man blocking the alley entrance. "Don't her escape!"

Seeing the little girl about to disappear into the busy street, the brothel owner shouted out loudly that anyone who captures her will get 10 silver coins. For the desperate, poor people of Inops, 10 silver coins were enough to feed them for a couple of days. To hear such prize, men and women immediately all act to capture the little girl who continued to dodge her way through the street. But no matter how hard Maida tried to flee, she was eventually captured. Worst, she bumped into the mafia group when she made a sharp turn to another street.

"What is this?" The mafia member frowned as he caught hold of the little girl covered in dirt and soot.

Not caring the fact that the little girl was so much smaller and weaker than him, the big man gripped on her arm tight - not giving her the chance to break free. Maida's eyes flashed with anger, refusing to give up. The brothel owner finally caught up and relieved to see the little girl finally detained. But when she saw the big man who had hold of Maida and the deadly group of men standing nearby, fear filled her. No one knew when the streets became silent.

"This thing belongs to you?" The big man spoke to the brothel owner with irritation clearly on his face.

The brothel owner hesitated but nodded. Just as she was about to apologize, the so-call "thing" unexpectedly pushed her whole body forward, purposely crashing into the man who was holding onto her arm. Shocked, the man didn't have time to counter when the little girl grabbed the pistol that was on his hip. Maida took that split second of surprise to pull away with the pistol in hand while aiming at the person who tried to grab her again. Everyone grew silent at the sight of the little girl with the deadly weapon. Even though her hands were trembling as she held the pistol, there was no hesitation in her jewel-like eyes.

"The pistol has 7 rounds." A deep, husky voice caused Maida to shiver.

Stepping back slowly, Maida watched as another man stepped forward. Standing tall with a dangerous dark aura, the twenty-eight year old handsome man was none other than Zed Easton.

"Choose who to kill." Zed Easton's dark eyes were completely void of emotions.

The soul within Maida felt a sharp pain at the sight of the familiar dark eyes which held complete darkness.

"Kill the wrong person," Zed Easton continued apathetically. "And you will pay the consequences."

Maida gripped on the pistol tighter while aiming it at Zed Easton.

"You dare_" All of the Gobi members stepped forwardly angrily.

There was no change in Zed Easton's face when he lifted a hand to stop his men from speaking or advancing forward. Without taking her eyes off the tall man, Maida could feel the murderous glares from his lackeys. But she didn't care about anyone else's expression. Her only concern was the second male lead's empty expression. Her soul had been in turmoil until it suddenly calmed. Everyone, including Zed Easton, was stunned when Maida suddenly turned the pistol to herself - aiming it to her head. No one could see her thoughts as she emptied her heart. No one knew that the soul inside the little girl was taking a huge gamble - betting her life for sovereignty.

The moment Maida closed her eyes - she had decided to pull the trigger. The loud shot caused many onlookers to tremble in silent terror. Maida - on the other hand, was startled because Zed Easton had grabbed hold of her wrist the instant she closed her eyes. When she pulled the trigger, the man already held her hand up to the sky. By the time Maida reacted, Zed Easton had proficiently removed the pistol magazine before taking the weapon and tossing it back to the person it belonged to.

Seeing her last defense was taken from her, Maida once again tried to escape. But Zed Easton hold on her wrist made the getaway impossible. Even though it was futile for her to fight back, Maida refused to be beaten. If the man handed her back to the brothel owner, not only will she lose the game - she'll lose a part of her soul. Her current body was weak and will not be able to endure whatever the brothel owner has in store for her. She understood very well that if she is taken, there would be nothing but ruthless torture and humiliation. And they won't stop until her mind is broken.

No!

Maida couldn't voice her unwillingness. Instead, she bites down at the hand that refused to let her go. Trying hard to break free, Maida did not notice the pair of dark eyes softening at the sight of her fearless struggles. In fact, no one had noticed the mafia boss' unprecedented soft expression because everyone was too astounded by the little girl's brazen action. Seeing the girl daring to bite the all powerful mafia boss, everyone was sure her little life was over.