LXI

"It's beautiful... just how I remembered it to be..."

"It wasn't easy to get, somehow," Logan brought up as he poured antiseptic onto his many but luckily harmless wounds. Even though the villain won, his future counterpart had managed to scratch him up pretty bad. A little hiss escaped his lips as the clear liquid seeped into his cuts. "The other Myth and (Y/n) somehow made everything simultaneously easier and harder for me."

"You did a good job though. I'm very proud of you, son," Syren muttered absent-mindedly, eyes focused on the Vasum — also known as Project N — in her hand. She could feel it tugging at her powers, slowly absorbing them from where she touched the pristine glass. It had the same characteristics as a normal Vasum, aside from the fact that its absorbing abilities were a hundred times stronger. She grinned to herself. "Now all I need to do is install the Vasum into the destruction machine and we're ready to go. I need you to go distract the (Y/n) and Myth from the other playthrough. Wouldn't want them to disturb us, would we?"

"I'll go do that next, but I can't believe it's almost over already..." Logan mumbled under his breath, his green eyes dimmed by melancholy. All good things had to come to an end, but why was it that he wasn't ready to let go just yet? He had experienced this feeling with quite a lot of video games, but this time, the feels hit harder than usually.

"Me neither," Syren breathed out, setting Project N into the isolation container she had specifically built for it. The inside of the box was lined with Impeditum — a material that cancelled out special abilities and powers. "But this is what all my struggles have lead to. In a few days, I shall get my revenge."

"Mother... what will you do after you've destroyed this city?" Logan inquired curiously with the intention to bring up the matter he had meant to talk to Syren with a few weeks ago. Now that he had successfully finished a mission, he expected her to listen to his worries. He rubbed his head slightly, not seeing what her point was in destroying the city when it would be futile in the end anyway. "What will it bring you?"

Syren chuckled darkly, crossing her arms and leaning against the sturdy metal table that stood nearby. Her green eyes shimmered poisonously as she explained, "I'll have gotten my revenge. I'll find solace in the ruins that will be left."

"But again, what will you do with a destroyed city?" Logan repeated once he realised that his mother was deep in thought. His earlier encounter with Myth and you at the secret facility had caused the suffocating feeling in his chest to become even worse; when he had been a witness to how far his future self went to ensure you'd be safe, it had left a very impressionable taste on Logan's tongue. "Why are you doing all of this? Just to get revenge on something that happened years ago? Revenge isn't—"

"Oh, Logan. You too must be aware that once we destroy this city, the cycle will start anew. Nothing matters anyway in this world." Syren clicked her tongue and she rolled her eyes. As if she felt slightly uncomfortable talking about this matter, she shifted her weight onto her other foot. She knew where this conversation was leading to because she herself had thought about this possible but discarded solution years ago. Up until now, she had completely forgotten about it though, too focused on her plan at hand. "I'm not stupid; I know this is just a game and I know what you want me to do."

Logan gulped slightly. "I... I didn't know you were self-aware, but that will make this conversation a whole lot easier."

"A lot of us are self-aware, actually," she commented as she tried to keep her voice in a moderate volume. She didn't want to lash out at her son again. "We've been through so much and we still have an infinite amounts of playthroughs ahead of us."

Logan hesitated for a moment, not too sure on how to voice his thoughts effectively. His tongue threatened to trip over itself as he fumbled with his fingers. "So, if you're self-aware, why not give your meaningless existence a purpose?"