XXXII

"It's time to wake up and rid the world of its evil, milady," a calm voice spoke as Syren rolled around in her comfortable bed. Waking up with a bright smile, she immediately sat up to find herself in her old mansion at the cliff side. Next to her bed stood an old man, clad in an elegant suit. He seemed to be her butler. A little smile found its way onto his lips. "How are you, Ms. Diamond?"

"I'm quite fine... who are you?" she asked while inwardly dancing in happiness. So everything had worked out in her favour. She couldn't wait to celebrate with Anne.

"Milady, are you sure you're alright? I'm Alfred, your butler. I knew the twelfth shot of vodka yesterday was too much," he explained with a worried expression. Syren nodded as she pushed her fluffy blanket aside and swung her legs over to the side of the bed. She couldn't wait to find out how things had changed. Immediately, she jumped up as soon as her eyes caught the mailman outside of her residence. The butler also noticed, telling her that he'd get the mail for her.

Yet, as he turned his eyes back to the bed, Syren was already gone. Still in her pyjamas, she approached the poor mailman at lightning speed. At the sight of her, his eyes immediately lit up.

"Good morning!" Syren chirped. She curiously eyed the newspaper in his hands. Gratefully, she directly took it as soon as he held it out to her. Just as she was about to turn around and enter her house again to quietly read the newspaper, his shaky voice entered her ears.

"E-Excuse me, Ms. Diamond or Syren," he croaked out, barely able to contain his excitement and giddiness of meeting his idol, "could I have an autograph?" With shaky hands, he held out his clipping board and a pen.

Syren nodded happily, grabbing the pen to write her name on the paper. Giggling softly, she felt her heart swell at the thought of everyone loving her again. The mailman almost fainted as her autograph was in his hands, a dazed smile on his face.

Still standing in her front yard, her eyes quickly skimmed over the contents of the newspaper. Articles such as 'Halo City, crime-free since five years because of Syren' or 'New statue of Syren completed' made her mind almost go dizzy. This was what she had always wanted and now that she had achieved it, she felt as if this was just a dream.

Where was Anne, she wondered. Rushing inside, she looked around for the girl she had grown to think of as her daughter. But there was no trace of her, much to her disappointment.

Faint giggling entered her ears, making her ears perk up in surprise. A large smile appeared on her lips as she recognised it as Anne's, coming from the garden. Quickly, she ran outside. Having arrived, her bright eyes wandered over the vast array of flowers.

She frowned at the sight of no one. Touching her ears, she wondered if someone was just playing a joke on her. Yes, that must have been it.

"Milady, why are you in the garden? It's cold outside," Alfred exclaimed from inside the doorway, a worried frown on his wrinkled face. Syren hesitantly nodded and made her way to retreat back into her abode. Once again, a girl's giggles filled her ears, but she paid it no mind. Alfred immediately shooed her inside, closing the door behind them.

"Alfred... do you know about a girl that lives with me?"

"Well, there was Rose... but that was ages ago. No girl has ever lived with you here, madam," Alfred answered as he calmly poured chamomile tea into a little porcelain cup. Syren gulped at his words, concern written all over her face. "Or are you seeing ghosts?" he joked, trying to lighten the mood.

"N-No, of course not." She smiled at the old man, the corners of her lips slightly crooked. As he placed the cup on the counter top in front of her, the brown liquid inside slightly spilled over the edge of the cup. Syren watched anxiously as a small portion of the tea trickled down the pearly white of the porcelain. It was only when the little droplets of hot liquid formed a puddle under the cup, that Syren snapped out of her trance.