XXX

"Evan? What did you get yourself into again!? Wait— you tried to stop a few criminals from detonating a bomb in the subway station? No way— a new villain came and... accident?" Mary heard a female voice yell loudly, causing her to slowly open her eyes. Her groaning went by unheard because of the angry woman's shouting. "Oof... that would explain the little earthquakes all over the city... yes, yes— I'm safe. I hope that boy with you is safe or else his parents will kill us— why did you even take him with you? Fine... see you later..."

"W‐What's going on?" Mary managed to croak out, her throat drier than sand paper. Slowly, she sat up from the couch she was lying on, inspecting her surroundings. Much to her amazement, her wounds and bruises were all cleaned and properly taken care off. "Who—"

"Oh, I'm sorry for all the yelling." The woman sighed and helped Mary sit up. She gave her a glass of cold tap water for her hoarse voice. She rubbed her temples, a little groan escaping her lips as Mary greedily chugged down the complete glass of liquid. "It's just that my brother can be such an idiot sometimes... anyways, I'm Evelyn (L/n)! It's nice to meet you."

"...Thank you, Ms. (L/n)." Luckily, Mary was able to keep her composure — even though she couldn't mask all of her surprise. Evelyn nodded cheerfully, taking the empty glass back to set it on a coffee table nearby. "I'm Mary Ardor... where am I?"

"You're in the back room of my café, Mary," Evelyn explained as she pointed at the many voices outside of the room. "After you passed out, I had no idea what to do with you, so I took you here. I hope you're at least feeling fine now."

"Yes, I am — thanks to you." Mary shot her a thankful smile. She was in the process of standing up; her bones all let out pained squeaks under her weight. That was until Evelyn pushed the girl back onto the comfortable couch, a motherly scowl appearing on her lips.

"You're just like my brother, always diving headfirst into danger." She laughed as fond memories arose inside of her mind. Then, her eyes turned back to Mary, a smile appearing on her lips. "But you need a little more time to heal right now, Mary. I'm not sure if you can even walk properly right now—"

"I have to go—" Mary seethed through her teeth as she gripped her arm in pain. "Halo City needs me, I can't just lie here..."

"Oh don't worry, Syren always has everything under control. What would we do without her?" Evelyn chuckled and shook her head at Mary's childish behaviour. Biting her lip to prevent any curses from leaking out, Mary groaned. "She's got this — she always does. No one stands a chance against her. Now you should get some rest, dear. I'll bring you some donuts to cheer you up!"

"Yes, thank—" All out of a sudden, the whole building started to shake violently. The lamp on the ceiling crashed to the ground, the glass of the bulbs shattering into thousands of shards. A loud scream escaped Evelyn's lips as she was thrown against the wall. Mary immediately jumped up and pulled Evelyn up before the wall could collapse on her.

"We need to get out of here!" Evelyn shouted as Mary hurriedly led her through the empty café. Everything was left in a hurry, broken cups and mugs littering the ground. Mary didn't let go of her hand — even when they had already made it out of the café. Her eyes went wide as soon as she looked over the glass fence, seeing hundreds of people trapped on every floor of the large skyscraper.

"W-What floor are we on?" Mary stuttered out, her eyes turned horrified as her head whipped around to see debris blocking most of the exits. The people's shouting and crying made her heart ache.

"We're on the 41st floor..." Evelyn cried out, realisation flooding her mind that this may be the last minutes of her life. "We can't get out of here, Mary..."