XXXVI

"So, once we have the remote, we return to the warehouse. Then, we'll be able to travel into the past playthrough since I just rewired the machine," Shadow repeated once again whilst Logan clumsily helped Mary with her wig. He was by no means a hairstylist, but he did his utmost best. Mary hissed as he pulled on her soft locks, trying to hide them all under the wig cap before adding the purple wig on her head.

"Hold still, Degree— almost finished..." he mumbled as Mary muttered curses under her breath. Adding the last bobby pin — which was the hundredth by the way — he pulled on the soft locks of the wig to see if it would stay on her head. Luckily, it did. "Not even the storm out there will be able to snatch your wig!"

"Are you sure she'll think I'm Feline?" Mary threw on some normal clothes over her hero costume. Logan nodded, very proud of his work. Maybe he could one day do your hair as well when everything was back to the way it was before. "I mean... I'm prettier than her—"

"Oh guys, I forgot to tell you that Feline's real name is Anne Tonette." After his announcement, Shadow immediately went back to working on the time machine to make sure it would work flawlessly. Logan and Mary were left in shock, neither daring to give a reaction to his words. Frozen and stiff with their eyebrows furrowed, they stood there. Shadow noticed, looking up to eye the two with an amused grin. "Did you two know her?"

"N-No!"

"Of course not!"

"Fine... now, Degree, you can't wear your mask or else Syren will immediately recognise who you are." Shadow laughed before throwing a very loose hoodie at her. She clumsily caught it and pulled it over her body. Hopefully, it would keep her warm and dry. Taking a deep breath, she dragged the hood over her face and removed the mask from her eyes. She felt naked without it, but it would have to do.

"Are you guys ready to head out?" Logan asked after he had recovered from his original shock, looking out of a barred window to see the storm pausing for a second, "It's time to strike—"

"Let's go," Shadow agreed as the trio ran out of the warehouse to save their world. Their plan was fool-proof, wasn't it?

It would be easier to fight someone else, than the war she fights within.

Syren was outside in her garden, softly watering the many flowers growing there. Alfred had suggested her to find a calming hobby to occupy her mind after she had almost flooded the whole house. Her mood had slightly gotten better as she hummed to herself, her enchanting voice attracting wildlife from the nearby forest. They came to listen, some hiding behind the bushes while others openly sat in a corner far away from her.

Suddenly, a little piece of paper caught her attention. It was embedded into the earthy ground the flowers were thriving on. She knelt down to pull it out. It was soaked with water, but the words written with black ink were still readable. The bright rays of the sun illuminated the journal page, colouring it a soft yellow.

XI.I.MMXVIII

I've noticed how he changed. He's become colder towards me; I've noticed how he's avoiding me. This was bound to happen, I knew it. He would move on as soon as he would meet her. They're all better than me...

- VII -

A little laugh escaped her lips as memories flooded her mind. She remembered how he had been so curious the last time around, willing to get closer to her. In the end, he had done all the dirty work for her.