XXXIX

"Who's out there?!" (Y/n) cried out desperately; she leant her back against the sturdy metal door and slid onto the ground. The only person she ever called family had just betrayed her trust. Her sobs echoed through the empty vault, the artificial neon light burning her (E/c) eyes.

"I-I'm here to save you!" It was none other than you who was on the other side of the door, frantically looking at the number pad which needed the correct sequence of numbers. Your body was shaking, your mind unable to form any coherent thoughts as you emptily stared at the various numbers. In such a moment — where time was running out and you had no idea what to do — you felt like simply giving up.

The even ticking of a clock on the wall slowly calmed you down, your hand resting on the cold concrete wall. With every tick, another second passed.

Then, a genius idea struck your mind. Your eyes lit up brightly, adrenaline entering your bloodstream. Newfound determination flashed across your face as you ran over to the closest alcove you could find; there, you tried to hide yourself as best as you could.

"Please work..." You raised your hand, clenching your opened it into a fist. Incoherent words — as if they were spoken backwards — entered your ears. You squinted your eyes, your outstretched arm beginning to shake as you felt yourself growing weaker and weaker. Your powers were still raw and sometimes uncontrollable. Sweat trickled down your forehead, the chaos of words growing louder and louder.

And then, you weakly let your hand fall into your lap, taking deep breaths of air. Had you succeeded, you wondered to yourself.

"Uncle Henry... what are we doing down here?"

"I wanted to show you something, (Y/n)."

A little smile graced your lips as you leant your burning head against the cool wall. Whilst in on their conversation, your chest rose and fell evenly. Silently, you cheered to yourself that you had indeed managed to reverse fifteen minutes of time. What an accomplishment.

"It was a project your mother worked on before... before she—"

"I-I... it's alright, Uncle Henry." You carefully peeked out from behind your cover, witnessing how (Y/n) tried her best at a reassuring smile. Uncle Henry nodded hesitantly before he made his way over to the number pad. A little gasp escaped your lips once you realised that this was your chance now. You squinted your eyes, trying to see which numbers he would press.

"Look away, (Y/n)." At his words, his niece sighed softly before she turned around and crossed her arms impatiently. Her casual expression changed immediately once she laid eyes on you. Your eyes widened in panic and your body became tense upon realising she had noticed you. You quickly put up your index finger to your lips, hoping she would understand and listen to you. You didn't have time for this; you had to watch closely which numbers Uncle Henry pressed.

Her relaxed posture became unnaturally stiff as well; she was confused and scared at the same time. She didn't even notice as the number pad flashed a bright colour of green, signalling that the entered code was correct. You blinked, repeating the sequence of numbers over and over again in your head.

"I'm done, you can turn around again," Uncle Henry spoke. The door clicked before opening with a loud screeching sound. It swung open, hitting (Y/n) in the back. He simply laughed, albeit a little bit worried. The male noticed her rigid posture, quietly questioning if she had seen a ghost. Furrowing his eyebrows at his absent-minded niece, he sighed softly when she showed no reaction. "(Y/n)?"

"...yes." (Y/n) turned around to look at her uncle questioningly. A relieved sigh escaped your lips, happy that (Y/n) had stayed quiet.

"Shall we—" He was interrupted by the blaring siren of the alarm going wild. Startled, all of you jumped a little bit in shock and surprise. A horrified expression crossed his face as he started to pace up and down, no longer paying any mind to the opened vault door.