XXIII

"(Y/n), have you ever thought about how things would have turned out if you had acted differently in the past?" Myth asked while his lazy eyes were busy looking out of the large windows. Another week had passed and your sanity continued to crumble with every time you witnessed the sun setting. You stayed silent, dwelling on your thoughts for a while. A smile grew on your face. Your (E/c) hues turned to his costumed figure. "I have... but haven't we all?"

"Well of course, but I mean a particular moment that you regret your decision in," Myth specified with his eyes turning to you. They seemed to almost glow in the dimness; the few rays of sun weren't enough to keep the room well lit. Uncle Henry's apartment was large but empty — especially when you were alone. Myth and Degree had grown even busier since attacks where a daily occurrence now. People didn't dare to leave their houses, except for the ones that spent their days besieging this skyscraper to get you to come out. The police frequently sent them home, but every time the crowd dissipated, a new one appeared from nowhere. "I have plenty of those..."

"But those moments make us who we are... everything has led to this very moment," you whispered softly, wondering what he intended to say. He opened his lips, only to close them a few seconds afterwards. His words were stuck in his chest, almost suffocating him. Yet, he couldn't bring himself to tell you. "You can't change the past. People need to stop dreaming about it all the time..."

"I'm sorry, (Y/n)..." Myth hugged his knees. You raised your eyebrows; confusion inhabited your (E/c) eyes. "I regret what I did. Maybe you can one day forgive me. At least, I sincerely hope so..."

"What are you talking about, idiot?" you mused with a little smile, putting your hand on his knee. He raised his eyes to meet yours. Your smile was contagious and so, his sadness vanished along with his fears. He knew that one day, you'd forgive him — one way or another. His face came closer to yours, making your heart burn painfully in your chest. Quickly, you tried to save the situation. "I could never be angry at you, you dork!"

"(Y/n), I—" He was interrupted when a sudden alarm resonated through the living room. Both of your heads snapped to the CCTV monitors in the corner. You stared at the flickering monitor with wide eyes: A large mob of angry people had flooded the lobby on the ground floor. With each minute, more seemed to pour in and overran the poor security guards. They all shouted '(Y/n) (L/n)' — every single one of them. In a matter of seconds, Myth jumped up and started to pace forth and back.

"Myth, citizens have breached the first layer of security," Carla — his AI — spoke through his intercom. He hummed multiple times, his mind trying to find a resolve to keep you safe and sound. "I suggest to flee before they manage to reach the elevator. You still have enough time."

"(Y/n), we need to go," Myth muttered with determined eyes, grabbing your wrist and hastily pulling you to the door that lead to the rooftop. Your legs struggled to keep up with his speed; your lungs begged for sweet air. Climbing up the last flight of stairs, Myth pushed the metal door open with a creak. Once you stepped out, harsh wind whipped you in the face.

An audible gasp escaped your lips, the cold creeping through your clothes. You shielded your eyes with your forearm — or at least you tried to.

"Hang on tight, (Y/n)," Myth shouted as he scooped you into his arms and — without a warning — jumped from the ledge of the skyscraper. A blood-curdling scream left your lips as you dropped down, the wind zooming past you. You kept your arms tightly around the hero's neck and buried your face in his chest. He laughed, amused at your reaction before he splayed his large wings. The dropping feeling in your stomach still remained as he glided along the sky with you in his arms. "You can open your eyes now," he mused with a grin on his face.