XLI

"Where are you, (Y/n)—" Myth's voice was low as he stormed down the flights of stairs, trying to reach the vault in time. He couldn't let Feline and Shadow kidnap you. He would protect you; he was your hero. Carla — his AI — had told him that your last tracked location was somewhere in the vault. Great timing indeed, he mused.

He stormed through the destroyed vault entrance, trying to evade all the rubble that was strewn around everywhere. His hands clenched into fists, eyes turning desperate as he heard nothing but peaceful silence. One couldn't hear the noise of the turmoil going on a few floors above them.

His past self and Degree were still busy with freeing the last of the hostages. He couldn't be seen, or else it would cause unnecessary confusion. Myth hurried through the many passages, shelves and lockers full of money left and right.

"(Y/n)," he cried out in hopes you could somehow hear him, "where are you?!"

There was no response.

Perhaps he came too late; the villains had already taken his beloved. Leaving a passage, he leant against the cold concrete wall, his eyes wide in disappointment. He laughed to himself, burying his masked face in his hands. His laughter grew louder and louder, until it suddenly stopped.

His ears picked up sobs and cries. Was he going insane? Were those sounds only imaginary? He rubbed his eyes exhaustedly, softly sighing to himself as the sobs quieted down for a moment. He was imagining things, or so it seemed.

"Someone please save me—"

Myth's head perked up. Her voice was muffled yet still audible. His head snapped over to the direction it came from, putting his clawed hand up to his ear. He closed his eyes slowly and started focusing on the frequency of the soft sobs muffled contained by a metal locker. Her cries hurt his erratically beating heart. He would save her, he promised to himself.

His eyes shot open, immediately knowing where to go thanks to his superior hearing. His breathing became more rigid with every second. His lungs were burning, but he knew he couldn't give up just yet.

"I'm coming... I'm coming," Myth repeated over and over again until he stood in front of the locker the wails were coming from. Shaky hands reached out to the knob, accidentally ripping it out of its hinges. The girl inside shrieked in fear, her puffy (E/c) hues wide in surprise. "(Y/n)!" Tears of relief formed in the corners of his eyes.

"M-Myth?" she whispered when he pulled her into his arms, softly cradling her like a precious treasure. He laughed his sorrows and worries out as he held a confused (Y/n) in his arms. She scrunched her nose, trying her best to push him away. "Go away, I don't need your help!"

"Oh no..." It was the wrong (Y/n) he had just saved, much to his dismay. Then the question would be where his (Y/n) was — you.

"Now get away from me!" she barked like an angry chihuahua. Surprised by her sudden outburst, his grip on her only tightened. His greedy arms longed to hold her for just a little bit longer. "I said: Get away from me, you idiot!"

"Fine..." he mumbled, letting go of her and firmly gripping her by her shoulders. His green eyes shone like bright emeralds as he stared into her (E/c) oceans like there was no tomorrow. Enough was enough, the angry girl raised her hand and tried to slap him across his face. He easily caught it mid-air, using the opportunity to pull her face even closer to his. Her face was beet red, nonsense upon nonsense escaping her lips. He simply smirked before he — with her wrist in his hand — pulled her out of the lonely vault. "It's time to get you to safety."

"I can get out myself, thank you very much," (Y/n) huffed, trying to calm her bouncing heart. Her head felt a little bit ditsy, but her pride wouldn't let her admit that to her hero. He simply ignored her insults, his grip on her wrist never wavering. She noticed how his strides were long and quick, almost as if he was in a hurry. She struggled to keep up, but didn't say a word.