XII

"You look amazing as always, Ms. Lavender."

"Oh, you flatter me, my dearest detective." Mary giggled as she used her fan to cool her reddish cheeks. Logan shot her a grin, completely immersed in his role. "But I can see through your charade, Detective Valentine. Those honeyed words must come with a reason."

You yawned slightly, rubbing your eyes as you sat in the empty rows of chairs in front of the stage. Looking down at the script of the play your class had to perform thanks to Ms. Taylor, you followed each word for word coming out of their mouths. Anne sat next to you, sharpening her long nails with a small metal file she always seemed to carry around.

Looking behind you, you found Ms. Taylor — your art and drama teacher — mouthing every line with such passion that it made you feel a little bit of pity at how bored the rest of her students seemed to be — you included.

Basically, it was a play about a famous detective who's been employed by a rich man to find the truth about his wife's sudden change in behaviour. Only that there was a rather unique plot twist in this whole play. The story was really intriguing, but way too confusing for a bunch of high schoolers who just wanted to go home. Ms. Taylor wrote this herself; which made you wonder if she had some sorts of weird fantasies? If she did, it wouldn't surprise you, in all honesty.

"Well, Mrs. Cameron has been behaving differently since a few weeks and I've been hired by Mr. Cameron to find out the reason for her change in behaviour," Logan explained as he took his grey hat off, the lights from above dimming slightly. The atmosphere grew tense at his actions. "A man with a broken heart is dangerous, you should know after all those hearts you've stolen—"

"Cut!" Ms. Taylor screamed as everyone jolted from their seats and started clapping lazily. "I said cut! Logan you're supposed to be a little bit more serious in this scene! And why are you guys clapping? This is just a rehearsal..."

"Was the lighting alright, Ms. Taylor?" Gwen peeked up from the back and shot her teacher a nervous look. You could understand her though; with the pressure Ms. Taylor had put on her so she'd not miss the exact position of the headlights, anyone would be a wreck.

"Superb, Gwen," Ms. Taylor shouted to the back of the theatre hall, giving her a thumbs up. Turning to her other students strewn all around the empty seats, she pushed her glasses up in slight annoyance. "I think a break is due, but once it's over, I want everyone to be in top spirits! And Joseph, don't accidentally rip the curtains again! Do you know how much they cost?!"

"Yes, Ms. Taylor," your classmates responded in a meek chorus, each one standing up to do things of their own. The noise grew, causing Anne to wince a little bit and rub her ears in pain. She had always had sensitive hearing — almost unnaturally sensitive.

"How are you doing, Mrs. Cameron?" Marcus' voice appeared from behind you, making you turn around to face him with an amused smile. His eyes seemed a little bit droopy, but the radiant smile on his lips cancelled his heavy eyelids out. "I thought you went missing this time, but it seems that you hid right under my nose, my dear wife."

"Oh, Mr. Cameron, why would I ever try to hide from you?" you asked in an exaggerated tone, your smile widening as you tried not to break out into laughter. "My dear husband, your charming presence makes the sun pale in comparison!"

"Now I remember the exact reason why I married you," Marcus exclaimed as you both broke out into laughter at your sheer antics. The roles of Mr. and Mrs. Cameron had become a little inside joke between the two of you. "But be careful, Detective Valentine keeps giving me these hateful glares. I think he would have wed you if I didn't."