III

"Here's my homework, Kaidan," Eric yawned as he shoved a heap of books and notes towards a perplexed Logan. When your best friend finally realised that he was the one spoken to, he shot the other boy a confused look. "If you're already sitting here, why don't you make yourself a little useful?"

"First of all, my name is Logan. And second of all, it's the first day of school... I don't think we have any homework yet," Logan retorted with a raised eyebrow, slowly growing angry with the way he was treated. Eric opened his mouth, only to close it again. At that, Logan rolled his eyes before he turned back to you. "Anyway... (Y/n), how was your summer break? How was visiting Paradise Bay with your uncle?"

Before you could answer, Mary had already chimed in. "Well, I for once went off to New Port to go shopping with Daddy! I mean, they only sell the best of the best at their stores. The city by the way is really pretty as well; maybe we could go there some time, honey?"

Logan didn't know how to respond to Mary's unwanted bantering, much to your amusement. But luckily for him, Eric had finally found a fitting answer for Logan by then.

"—I guess you're off the hook for now, Roberts." Eric shrugged and narrowed his eyes suspiciously at the shorter boy sitting at the same table. You started to giggle a bit from how long it had taken for Eric to comprehend the question and form an answer. Logan shot him a relieved smile, his eyes glancing at you from the corner of his vision. "For now..."

"Alright, I think I need to go... I don't want to be late to Mr. Klaus' next lesson! Or else he'll hate me for the rest of the year again," you awkwardly announced once silence had consumed the whole table; not even Mary was trying to talk to Logan. That girl was annoying you to no end. Swinging your one leg over the bench, you shot the remaining occupants of the table a little smile. "I'll see you guys later."

Eric grunted in disappointment once he noticed that the seat next to him was suddenly empty. Logan's hand curled into a fist underneath the table, his eyes showing disdain for how the (H/c) haired girl was making her way out of the crowded cafeteria.

"Well, Logan, now that the nuisance is gone, we can finally get to know—"

"Bye, Mary. I need to do some things before lesson starts again," Logan interrupted her abruptly before getting up with his tray in hand. The blonde girl didn't have much time to react before the table had lost one more occupant. "I'll see you later!"

With his bag over his shoulder and his empty tray in hand, the black-haired boy had already vanished off into the crowd of students. Mary felt a part of her heart cracking. What did (Y/n) have that she didn't?

Sometimes, things aren't as they seem.

"(Y/n)!" Logan shouted when his observant eyes caught your form walking down the hallway. Thank God for his superhuman speed, or else he wouldn't have been able to catch up with you. You halted in your walk, tensing up as your ears picked up your name. "Wait a second!"

"What do you need, Logan?" you asked and turned around to find your best friend storming towards you frantically. He caught up with you quicker than you thought and somehow wasn't even out of breath. "Don't you have somewhere to be? With the popular kids?"

"(Y/n)—"

"You've changed, haven't you? Last semester, I remember how you clearly despised Mary and her underlings," you mumbled under your breath with your head lowered; you couldn't bare to look into his sparkling eyes. Your heart ached as you felt the truth seep into your conscience. "But now, you're all over her... I thought that—"