XXV

"Give me the screwdriver, Anne."

"Here, Mistress."

"Thank you, dear."

You woke up to quiet voices speaking. The noise seemed muffled though, as if there was a barrier between their lips and your ears. Softly, your eyes fluttered open after your head had stopped throbbing violently. With blurry vision, you could barely make out the two figures in front of you. Your heart stopped for a moment when you realised that you were indeed sitting in a chamber made out of glass — a cage. Feline looked at you, a faint frown of pity and worry adorning her lips. Syren instead squealed excitedly with childish glee.

"So you have awoken, child," Syren cooed, leaning against the layer of glass that separated you from her. You narrowed your eyes, scrambling as far away from her as possibly you could. The corners of her red lips curled up into a little grin. As your gaze found its way to her face, you noticed it was the first time you had seen the female without her hood. Her red hair cascaded down her pale face beautifully; hues of deep green bore into yours, entrancing you slowly. Her eyes contained an ocean of suffering and experience, it almost caused pity to erupt inside of you. "Did you sleep well? I hope you did."

"My powers are gone, Syren." You ignored her question. She raised her eyebrow, amused at your words. Her expression did nothing more than irritate you further. "You can't use me anymore. I destroyed the necklace..."

"Did your beloved uncle never tell you what a Vasum is?" she asked slowly as if she was talking to a little child. You shook your head, urging her to continue. She clicked her tongue. "That's a shame... well, Vasi are used to store one's power. They're made from a certain type of crystal, my dear. Cataclistum — the only crystal that can't be destroyed by our powers — is very hard to find and very few know of its existence as well."

Syren pulled something out from behind her back, a giant grin on her lips. Your eyes were trained on the glistening piece of jewellery that laid in the palm of her hands. It was a precious hairpin with a seashell attached to the piece of thin metal.

"So that's what you were looking for at the harbour..." Your eyes brightened in recognition. The villainess nodded, attaching the accessory to the left side of her head. It matched beautifully with her soft locks. "That's your Vasum..."

"Oh, you're just as smart as your mother, dear!" Syren laughed, crossing her arms. "Yes, it's my very own Vasum. I used it to store my powers before they put me in prison. Wouldn't want them to use me for their little experiment on our special abilities, would I? I hid it where only I could find it — deep down at the bottom of the sea."

"So now, you're at your full power..." you concluded, shivering at the thought of her devastating ability to destroy Halo City once and for all. She shook her head while her slender fingers reached out for the hairpin. Carefully, she took it off and raised it up to her eye level.

"No, not yet—" Syren hummed before she grabbed the piece of jewellery with both of her hands. To your shock, she applied enough force to snap the accessory in two. The woman was unpredictable, which made her all the more dangerous. Laughter escaped her lips at your horrified expression. "Now I'm at my fullest power! The Vasum was hard to get, but it fulfilled its purpose wonderfully."

"No... does that mean—"

"Yes, you made this all the more complicated for yourself," she cut you off with an apologetic smile. "Since you destroyed your own Vasum — the necklace your mother gave to you, the powers it once stored are now inside of you. Oh, (Y/n), if you hadn't destroyed your Vasum, I could have simply used the necklace to get my fuel. Now I need to extract my fuel directly from you."