XXXVIII

"Ms. Adler! Ms. Adler, I'm so glad to see you!" you shouted as you ran over to the busy woman seated behind the receptionist counter. You had come to your uncle's company building to perhaps try and ask him for some advice. Yet, you couldn't help but become giddy as soon as you laid eyes on a friendly and familiar face. Two weeks had passed since the incident at the graveyard. You had found yourself lost in this big city you had been living all your life in. Everything was the same, but it somehow felt strange to know that this wasn't your reality.

Irene Adler's eyes were frozen to the monitor, her hands hovering barely above the keyboard. You sighed once you realised you had accidentally frozen time again. Whenever you got too excited, you lost control over your powers. But at least you had gotten quite a hang of it; stopping time and reversing a few minutes became second nature now.

A little scream escaped Irene's throat as soon as you unfroze time. Your sudden appearance had startled the young woman, which made you laugh in return. Silently, you removed the white mask from your face to reveal your identity and intentions to Irene.

"(Y/n)—" she gasped while pushing strands of red locks out of her face, "what are you doing here? You startled me there for a second."

She breathed out, making you smile slightly. "I'm here to talk to my uncle. I need help."

"But... didn't I just sent you to him?" she asked and scratched her head in confusion; she wondered if she was hallucinating. Perhaps the fifth mug of coffee today was overkill. You furrowed your eyebrows, your hands turning into fists. "I said goodbye to you a few minutes ago... and then you went down to the vault to speak to him."

"U-Uhm... well, you see—"

"This is a robbery~ hands up where I can see them!" a voice shouted as every person inside the entrance hall froze. You didn't dare to turn around, all out of a sudden starting to sweat violently. A horrified expression adorning her normally relaxed face, Irene's eyes widened.

Screams of terror and fear rung through the hall, people running around like headless chickens as masked villains came out from their hiding places. Your heart sank when the first screams of horror met your ears. Yet, you knew that you were pretty much helpless.

"No one told me the heist would be on this bank..." you hissed to yourself and quickly put on your mask while you still could. You dove behind Irene's receptionist counter, praying to God that Feline or any villain for that matter hadn't noticed you yet. You needed to get to the vault below your current floor and hopefully catch Uncle Henry so you could talk to him; but how would you do that?

"(Y/n)— get to safety," Irene whispered in a low tone. She kept her gaze trained forward, her lips barely moving. You nodded guiltily as you crawled away, making sure to run from one hiding place to another while chaos ensued. Just as you reached the elevator to go make your way to the lower levels of the building, a hand yanked you back. You grumbled curses under your breath as soon as you fell eye to eye with the culprit.

"Ah, what do we have here?" It was Shadow, which made you gulp. You averted your gaze to the closing doors of the elevator. Without a passenger inside, it was travelling to another level. His fingers gently gripped your chin, forcing you to look back into him. Even though you couldn't see his eyes because of his own mask, they bore such intensity as they scanned your face; he tried to look behind the mask you wore. The male leant closer — close enough for you to feel his hot breath fanning against your face. "You seem familiar, cutie..."

Your face heated up and your skin turned red like a tomato. Forcing your chin out of his grasp, you turned your head to the side to see Feline approaching. Her heels clicked against the marble ground; her tail swayed behind her with every step. She looked annoyed, her pupils dilated into slits.