LI

"Ms. (L/n)," Mr. Klaus snarled as you appeared in the doorway to your classroom. Chest heaving up and down, your nervous eyes flitted up to find everyone's attention lingering on your exhausted form. Somehow, you had fallen asleep on some random bench due to having not slept the last days; you had only let yourself rest a few hours because you were sure that Myth had lost your trail. You squirmed uncomfortably as no one in the room uttered a single word. That was until your teacher — who was staring down at you disapprovingly — parted his lips to scold you. "You're late."

"I'm sorry, Mr. Klaus... I—"

"Go to your seat, Ms. (L/n)." Without another word, he turned back to the board to continue writing with his small piece of white chalk. A relieved breath escaped your lungs as you scurried over to your desk while keeping your gaze down-cast.

"Late as always—" Mary started, but she somehow shut up once you raised your gaze to stare at her angrily. Almost falling from her own chair, she kept her wide purple eyes trained on your now seated form.

"(Y/n)?" Anne whispered over to you, eyes quite worried; she gazed at your restless face. You nodded with a shaky smile, straightening your back as an attempt to convince her you were the good ole (Y/n). Anne pursed her lips and suspiciously tilted her head to the side, scooting a little closer to you. "Class is almost over... and you missed some important stuff—"

Your mind quickly drifted away once Anne mentioned 'important stuff'. Your lips pressed into a thin line, you suddenly struggled with holding in your tears. Important? Nothing in this world was important; nothing was meaningful. One could describe your meaningless life as an ongoing cycle.

No matter how hard you tried at school, you knew it would mean nothing in the end. You would never have a future, never have a job nor a family of your own. Forever, you would live through the same teenage years in your pitiful life.

"(Y/n)..." Anne trailed off and even nudged your shoulder slightly once she noticed your bitter stare. You hummed, quickly putting on a little smile before you turned your head over to your best friend.

"Yes," you mumbled, wondering why she needed your attention, "what do you need?"

"I know that your relationship hasn't been going that well... I'm genuinely worried for you." Anne's words made your body freeze in fear and shock — like a deer caught in headlights. She winced at your reaction, slightly retreating back to her own desk once cold (E/c) eyes swerved over to meet her own. "I... I know that you've been angry at me the past weeks for saying this... but — in my honest opinion — you should just break up with him."

"I... I would," you whispered as your hands tightened into fists. Your glistening eyes were trained on the busy boy sitting at the desk right next to you. The tip of his pen was hastily dancing across the white sheet of paper spread out on his desk. The black ink stained the pure white as he pressed the tip of his pen down, scribbling away with focused green eyes. Anne sighed once she noticed who you were staring at, only shaking her head in utter worry. You gulped, knowing that you couldn't make decisions for (Y/n) — no matter how much you wanted to. "...but I can't."

"You can't? Why..." Anne's eyes narrowed in suspicion as she awaited your answer. Oh no, was she already realising that you weren't the (Y/n) of the past playthrough? Quickly, you knew you had to come up with an answer that would be believable coming out of (Y/n)'s lips. "You know you're just drawing out the inevitable—"

"I just can't," you seethed through your teeth, heart clenching at your own words. Wanting to vomit then and there, you turned away from Anne with a forced smile. She cursed under her breath, crossing her arms before she turned away from you as well. "You... you wouldn't understand, Anne."