V

Stay strong, (Y/n). You have to — there's no other option.

Your mother's words rung through your head like a long faded echo, but the meaning to it still prevailed. With the little cobble stones scraping against your knees, you could already see the stains forming on your blue jeans.

The tears silently trickled down your cheek, like an unstoppable waterfall. You knew nothing and that fact frustrated you to no end. Uncle Henry had always been uncomfortable whenever you asked about your past, promising to tell you once you'd be old enough — but when was it you'd truly be old enough for him?

But you were thankful that he took you in, so you never pressed further if he wasn't ready to give you an answer. Feeling the hourglass pendant around your neck slowly being moved by the soft wind coming out of nowhere, your hand instinctively moved up to envelop it.

Your eyes softened once they spotted the familiar crack in the top part of the glass, more and more of the (F/c) powder inside trying to leak out with each passing day. It was the last thing you had of your mother; it took a special place in your heart because of it.

"You want to know many things you shouldn't, don't you?" a clear voice asked out of nowhere, making you snap out of your own trance. The illusion of solitude and safety was shattered once your eyes found the source of the voice atop the creaky roof of the old chapel. "Some things aren't as they seem, dearest (Y/n)."

The female in a cat costume placed her hand on her hip, her ears slightly twitching in amusement. Silence consumed the whole graveyard; her tail swishing against the roof was the only sound that your ears could pick up.

"Why are you here, Feline." Your words were more of a demand than a question towards the villainous being above you. You recognised those mischievous green eyes from the wanted posters decorating the whole town. Confused as to why she was even here, your back straightened as you started to feel really uncomfortable. "You're probably not here to chat with me... or am I wrong?"

"Oh, you see, I may be a villain, but I still have some good left in my heart," she explained with an overly sweet tone, her whiskers slightly raising from disgust towards herself. "Seeing you here, mourning the dead like they'll answer your pleas... it makes my heart shatter a little bit. How unfortunate that your mother passed away. Aeva was the best villain to ever have caused mayhem — up to date!"

"How do you know about my mother?" You tried to ignore her insulting undertone for the priority of learning information. Surely, she would have to know more than you did.

"Well, I know a lot of things." The cat grinned widely whilst gazing at her sharp nails in disinterest. Her red lips were pursed, thinking of her next tactical move. "But I don't know much about your necklace. Won't you tell me more about it? Pretty please, (Y/n)?"

"I don't see why you'd need to know," you retorted as you protectively held onto the little pendant around your neck. That villain was setting off all possible warnings in your head. "Now, you see, I'm busy. I need to meet some of my friends soon, so if you don't mind..." Turning around, you feet moved on their own. They carried you down the path to the exit.

"We can do this the hard or the easy way." Feline easily jumped down from the roof and gracefully landed on the cobble floor. You continued to walk, until she spoke, "I can give you all the information you want — in exchange for that little necklace of course."

Your body halted as soon as she uttered those words. How tempting, this could be the only chance you'd ever get at unravelling your mysterious past. Unconsciously, your right hand tightened around the hourglass a little bit too much, resulting in another crack adorning the already blemished surface.