XVII

"Logan, you're not yourself today," you whispered as you sat crossed-legged on your couch, your history book abandoned next to you. The boy next to you — deeply immersed in his Latin studies — didn't even acknowledge your concerns. He continued to mindlessly flip the pages, his mind somewhere different. "Logan." Sighing, you reached out to your friend. As soon as he felt a hand resting on his shoulder, he slowly raised his gaze to meet yours.

"What's wrong?" he yawned with a little smile, making your chest burn in both adoration and pain. It was always a mixture of both whenever Logan was near you.

He had bags under his green eyes and his normally luscious black hair looked even too messy for him. He looked more exhausted and tired since a few weeks. Much to your surprise, his grades were getting worse with each passing day, even though he was known to be one of the smartest students at school. Just a few months ago, he only had straight As for grades. Because you were worried for his performance at school, you had invited him to study together with you.

Your eyes drifted to the windows of your apartment for a little while. The harsh wind howled outside, splattering your windows with large droplets of rain. A sudden storm had found its way to Halo City while Logan and you had been studying in your home. The sun was almost gone from the cloudy sky, the day slowly coming to an end.

"More like, what's wrong with you?" you repeated once again after a moment of silence, your eyes softening when you saw his smile crack for a second. He shrugged it off, returning to his book, which somehow seemed more interesting than answering your question.

"Is little (Y/n) worried about me?" he asked with an amused grin on his lips, his eyes skimming across the used pages. You rolled your eyes, taking your hand from his shoulder.

"Yeah of course, you are..." Your voice wavered for a moment. "...a dear friend to me, Logan."

Your heart wanted to burst into flames. But in your mind, a sudden wave of relief washed over your thoughts. Voices of a past playthrough echoed through your mind. His voice caused you pain and spread out roots in your heart.

"You're more to me than just a best friend... I love you, Logan!"

"I love you, too, (Y/n). I always will — I swear."

He shut his book immediately, rising from the couch in a hurry. You almost jumped at his sudden action, a surprised look in your (E/c) hues.

"You're... a dear friend to me, too," he pressed through his teeth. A smile too large for his lips was directed at you. Your eyes sank when he started to pack his bag. As soon as he noticed your staring, he sighed quietly. "I need to get home... it's getting dark already and the storm is getting worse with every second."

At his words, the rain against your window splattered louder. The storm outside was raging on, causing the soaked streets to be ghostly empty. You shuddered as thunder echoed across the sky and lightning flashed across the darkened skies.

"No, Logan," you said firmly as you grabbed his hand and pulled him back, "it's way too dangerous to go outside now. I—I don't want anything to happen to you." Your hand burned as you felt his skin against yours. Still, you held on when it almost became unbearable.

"I can look out for myself, (Y/n)," he muttered, his eyes locked on your intertwined hands. He tried to pull away, yet your grip became stronger even as the pain almost overwhelmed you. "We're not little kids anymore."

"Logan, you'll get injured if you go out into this storm," you reasoned; your eyes tried to catch his gaze. He looked anywhere but your eyes. "So stay here for the night, alright?"