LXVIII

"I love you, (Y/n)."

You awoke from your deep slumber with a startled jolt. Quickly, you sat upright as a candle with your hair looking like that of an unkempt porcupine. The sunlight flooded your humble bedroom, tickling your nose in a teasing manner. The sunrays felt different — more alive than ever.

Rubbing your eyes tiredly, you remembered fighting with Logan to keep him distracted, so that Myth could go defeat Syren. That was why the biggest question the room was: Why were you sitting in your bedroom right now, enjoying the morning sun?

"Was it..." You choked on your spit as your eyes gazed at the calendar hanging on your wall. Today marked the first day of school after summer break, making you almost cry out unhappily. "Was it all just a dream?"

You were immensely disappointed; the cycle had just started from the beginning — again.

"Was everything good for nothing?" you whispered to yourself with teary eyes, unbelievingly gazing out of the gleaming window. It seemed like nothing had changed. But maybe even then, Myth had been able to save Halo City in the last playthrough.

You wanted to feel happy, but you just couldn't. Even if Myth had managed to save your hometown, it was now time to live through all of that once again.

With a heavy heart, you climbed out of your cosy bed and got ready for school. Bare feet tapping against the cold tiles of your bathroom, you flicked the light switch on and thus vanquished the darkness to the farthest of corners. Your (E/c) hues gazed into the mirror to find a (H/c)-haired girl staring back at you. You remembered what had happened last time when you smiled at your reflection: The girl in the mirror had started to cry.

Curious as to whether that would happen again or not, you hesitantly let your lips curl into an uneasy smile. A relieved breath escaped your lips once you realised your reflection was merely smiling back at you — nothing out of the ordinary.

"And again, the hero of Halo City, Myth, has saved the town hall from a dangerous—" the news speaker's voice boomed through your little radio. Yet, you quickly zoned out once the hero's name was mentioned. You didn't know what had become of him; after Logan had attacked you at the port, you either passed out or died. Saying you were simply curious was an understatement.

Quickly grabbing your bag after you were done brushing your teeth and changing into more appropriate clothes, you sluggishly walked out of your apartment with a frown on your face. You weren't ready to go through the same cycle of suffering once again, but at least your conscience was lifted of the guilt of the past.

As the door fell into its hinges behind you, you were shocked to the core to not find faceless NPCs wandering the lifeless streets, but real, living people walking past you. They had faces; they were no longer generic. A little gasp escaped your lips as your eyes started to water.

What if Myth had actually managed to—

As quick as your legs could carry you, you sprinted to school. Your bag stood on the door step of your apartment — long forgotten.

You raced through the crowds of people like an overjoyed little child. Some of them threw curses or insults at you for either cutting them off or bumping into them. Yet, their angry exclamations only made the smile on your face grow into an unbelievable size. A little bit of laughter spewed out of your lips as you twirled around under the lively sun.

Everything was so alive — everything was so real.