XLIII

"Myth?" you whispered, not quite sure on how to react to his sudden appearance. As your trembling voice reached his sensitive ears, his arms around you tightened. By then, Shadow had already disappeared into the cold darkness of the night, walking away with clenched fists. You smiled as you turned around, finding his green eyes staring down at you happily. "Myth! What happened?"

He silently pulled you into a hug, his frail grasp on you growing stronger and stronger. Tears escaped the corners of his eyes, mixing with the rain as he buried his nose in the crook of your neck. "(Y/n)... I was so afraid I couldn't save you," he whispered, his voice quivering with every word he spoke. You frowned and wrapped your arms around him as well.

"I'm alright; don't worry," you tried to console him in hopes that his crumbling sanity wouldn't worsen any further. Running your hand up and down his back comfortingly, your heart slightly broke when his pained sobs echoed through the narrow alleyway. Your grasp on him tightened. "Logan... what happened?"

"...You know who I am?" he inquired, pulling away with a surprised smile on his lips. So perhaps explaining wouldn't be as bad as he thought. You nodded sheepishly and tilted your head to the side. The smile on his lips quickly disappeared.

"Of course I do, idiot—" You giggled as you playfully flicked his forehead with the intention to calm him down once you noticed the arising madness in his emerald eyes. His lips attempted to smile, yet his heart was too heavy at the moment. You frowned as you noticed his failed attempts. Hoping to calm his erratically beating heart, you pulled him into yet another soothing embrace; he melted into your ataractic touch. "Now tell me what happened?"

"Syren threw us all into the past with the machine she built. We tried to stop her there while you were trapped in the past playthrough — here," Myth muttered, his warm breath fanning against your ear. You hummed, urging him to go on. He did, albeit a little bit slower and shakier than normally. "I... I met your parents, (Y/n). But long story short: Syren wanted to change the past. And in the end, she succeeded..."

"You met my parents?" You pulled away, eyes sparkling brightly in curiosity. Your memories with them were long faded, only a few incoherent pictures flashing in your dreams sometimes. Most of what you knew was what Uncle Henry had told you about them. You blinked, being ripped out of your trance, once Myth leant his forehead against yours, closing his exhausted hues.

"I did meet them—" he breathed, muscles relaxing.

"Well, tell me!" you exclaimed giddily as you cupped his cheeks, hoping to put a smile on his face. The corners of his lips twitched slightly; he nodded.

"Your father was a lieutenant at the city's police station. Your mother was also an lieutenant — his partner, but she was going under a fake identity to access some secret folders," he explained as you listened with wide eyes, hanging onto every word that left his slightly blue lips. Wait, blue... maybe you should get to somewhere warm and cosy before you had a hearty talk. "Strangely, your mother used to date Mary and Marcus' dad. But while I was there, she did seem very in love with your father."

"Tell me more while we get to somewhere dry and warm—" you mumbled as your hands left his face and travelled to his clawed hand. Making sure you wouldn't accidentally hurt yourself with his sharp claws, you pulled him out of the cramped alleyway and led him down the street. He let himself be pulled by you. He felt as if his mind was blank. You turned around, your grip on his one hand tightening in worry. "Logan, your hand is so cold—"

"You're worrying," he whispered, cheeks warming up. Giggling softly, you nodded.

"Well, after everything you've done for me, I should worry, shouldn't I?" Your words were sweet, yet bitter irony unknowingly laced your innocent words. Whether forgetting all about the past was a good or bad thing, one couldn't know yet. Myth stayed silent, eyeing you guiltily once you continued to pull him along the slippery sidewalk.