XX

Mary sat on the side-lines, her shoulders hunched over in frustration. Her dry bathing suit rubbed against her body whenever she shifted on the freezing bench. The towel she was sitting on did nothing to shield her from the coldness of the stone under her thighs. She raised her gaze at the sound of water splashing loudly to find her classmates jumping into the sparkling pool — one after another. She was the last to remain dry.

"Mary, are you alright?" a female voice asked softly as the person settled beside her. Her head instantly snapped to its source, finding the person she didn't want to see the most at the moment sitting next to her — you. Immediately, all the vulnerability in her eyes disappeared. With hardened hues, she glared at you.

"Why shouldn't I be?" she hissed under her breath, turning her head away from you. Wrapping her arms around her, she shuddered at the feeling of water surrounding her like a cage. By now, she had grown to hate it with a burning passion. "Now leave me alone. You're annoying..."

"Mary—"

"End of swimming lesson today! Have a nice day," Mr. Brown — your swimming teacher — yelled loudly, his voice echoing through the swimming hall. All of the students immediately jumped out of the pool and hurried to the changing rooms. Today was Friday and everyone couldn't wait to get home in order to relax.

Mary had already disappeared with her towel clutched to her chest tightly before you had managed to finish your sentence. You sighed softly and shook your head. She had been sitting there the whole lesson, not daring to dip even her little toe into the refreshing pool. With a pitiful frown, you wondered if something had happened to her in order to make her this scared of water.

Slowly, you rose up and made your way to the changing rooms as well. The girls inside were in the middle of changing and gossiping about others. You started to dry yourself with a towel before forcing the sticky bathing suit off your body. Just as you were almost finished changing, you heard a shrill scream across from you.

You turned around to find Elisabeth — one of Mary's friends and member of the in-crowd — staring at her phone in surprise. Looking like she was about to faint, all of the girls rushed over to her to see what the commotion was all about. Curiously, you tried to find out what was going on. But with their figures huddled all together, you couldn't make out much from the panicking whispers.

"(Y-Y/n)," Elisabeth whispered after a while as she forced her way to you, pushing your classmates out of her way. You looked at her with a raised eyebrow, confused why she of all people needed to talk to you. After all, she was the ditsy little girl, too naïve and oblivious for this world. "I think you need to see this..."

She held her phone out to you, the bright screen showing a paused video. She tapped the screen to start the video from the beginning. You looked at her phone with a confused frown on your lips.

And then, it dawned on you as soon as you saw the familiar face hidden under a large hood — it was Syren. A large grin was plastered upon her face. Then, her lips moved, her voice charming as always.

"Citizens of Halo City," she announced with a self-confident aura, "today is the day where I — Syren — have officially returned. Thought you could keep me locked away in Camp Impeditum? No, I can't be held behind bars. After years of planning revenge, I'm here to visit my beloved city." Her lips were curled in disgust, almost spitting out the words 'beloved city'. Behind her, you could see the familiar background of the news studio. Your eyes widened in surprise as you heard cries for help from behind the camera.

"Shut up and do your work, cameraman!" Syren hissed before she hummed a beautiful melody, bringing the poor guy back under her control. She cleared her throat elegantly before she looked back into the camera. "Where was I? Ah yes, I'm here to announce that I have the power to destroy your mediocre city! You have every right to be scared, I would be, too! Haha..."