XXVI

"Hailey, you haven't changed a bit," a deep voice spoke. At the sudden newcomer, your head perked up curiously. Sitting up from your lying position, you felt the soft mattress give in under your body. Your head turned to the source of the voice, causing your body to freeze in shock — it was Jacob Ardor, father to Marcus and Mary Ardor. "After what seemed like an eternity, I finally get to see your pretty face again. You still look as enchanting as always."

"Who let you in, Jacob?" Syren shot up from her seat, her head snapping towards the tall figure approaching her. Her surprise was as big as yours, both of you staring at the intruder as if he was an alien. "I don't want to see you in here. Seeing you makes me fear that something bad will happen."

"Oh, I let myself in, dear." His smile — charming and cold as always — gave his selfish intentions away to everyone who dared to take a peak at his aged face. You shuddered, remembering your first encounter with him. "I'm here to see what you've made of the money I gave you and let me tell you, I'm not disappointed."

Syren looked like she was on the verge of punching him, but decided that losing control would mean no good. He was strong after all, rivalling her level of might. After he had retired from his villainous activities, he became a successful businessman. He became even more dangerous and cunning with his new occupation, which is why Syren had been scared to ask him for money. And yet, she had asked for help anyway because she needed it to finance her own plans.

"But I see the first wrinkle on your normally youthful face," Jacob teased and leant against one of the many wooden crates that littered the abandoned warehouse. Syren visibly tensed at his comment, her palms turning into fists. The glass of water on her desk started to shake violently; the liquid threatened to overflow. "Haven't you killed enough people to suck out their life force recently? Or have you become weak?"

In an instant, Syren jumped up and with a flick of her wrist, she hurled the cold water from the cup towards him. Jacob merely looked at her, raising his flat hand before the liquid could soak his expensive suit. The water became ice before it could touch his skin. The perfect cube of ice dropped to the ground and shattered into millions of pieces. Your mouth hung agape, shocked at his display of abilities.

"That was cold of you, I would have expected a more warm welcome, dear," he mused as he lowered his hand. Syren shook in her seat, ready to kill anyone who dared to evoke her wrath. Meanwhile, Jacob looked unfazed, simply grinning at her smugly. "Now, back to business. I want to—"

"Forget it, old man," Syren hissed, interrupting her sponsor before he could continue. She stood up and walked towards him, jabbing her finger into his chest. Furiously, she narrowed her eyes. "I don't want anyone unnecessarily changing more things in the past than I'm about to. I don't want to throw this reality into chaos."

"Mistress?" Feline's head poked up from behind a wooden crate. Until this moment, you had silently listened to her finishing the last touches on the time machine. She lowered the screwdriver onto a metal table and rubbed her hands together. You could clearly witness how Syren's expression changed as soon as she turned around to lay her eyes on her apprentice. Her green hues no longer radiated malice, but turned soft and almost motherly for a second. "I think the machine is almost finished. We just need to... extract (Y/n)'s powers..."

You could hear her voice breaking for a moment at the mentioning of your name. Your heart sank once you realised that your end was drawing near. In a matter of seconds, Feline hesitantly pushed a button. The machine rumbled and started to suck out your powers. The feeling of incredible weakness and helplessness filled your mind. Syren nodded, stomping away from Jacob and following the cat over to the machine. His bored eyes took a look around the room, finally landing on you in your cage. They lit up in fascination, causing him to approach you until the barrier of glass stopped him.