XLVIII

"What do we do now?" Myth asked as he paced back and forth, hands tightly clasped behind his back; he was deep in thought. Meanwhile, you idly sat on a wooden bench on the opposite side of the street, watching the prestigious restaurant with hollow eyes. Softly cringing as your not so kind brain suddenly decided to remind you of the embarrassing moment earlier, you slouched forward.

"Nothing..." you whispered, tears welling up again as he faced you, his eyes wide in worry. "He has won... he'll probably bring the necklace to Syren sooner or later and—"

"We can stop him!" Myth interrupted as he stopped his striding and sat down next to you, his hands reaching out for yours. His touch burned more than ever; this time, it was because you were embarrassed though. You narrowed your eyes and hesitantly pulled away from him.

"Stop him? No, we can't..." you mumbled, eyes cast up at the artificial night sky. "That's not how the rules here work."

"(Y/n)," he called out softly. Shaking his head, he didn't understand what you were implying. "What are you—"

"We can't kill him— he'll respawn over and over again until he's completed his objective..." you explained, pulling your knees up to wrap your arms around them. It was in moments like these that you were reminded of how helpless you actually were. "He — like you — is the protagonist. This world is tailored around you two... it doesn't leave any room for you to fail critically."

"I—" Myth was at a loss for words when realisation dawned upon him.

You chuckled dryly. "Logan, haven't you realised yet? This is just a game."

"It's not just a game—" He shook his head valiantly. "(Y/n), you're so much more than just strings of codes."

Temporarily, his words had ushered you into stunned silence. His lips curved up into a smile as he eyed you curiously, waiting for a reaction. However, once you snapped out of your trance, your stark feelings came back tenfold.

"You don't know what it's like to be just a puppet in this big tragedy... I've seen my reality be saved; I've once seen my reality be destroyed," you cried out, tears streaming down your cheeks once again. Myth reached out to wipe them away, yet you jerked back as his fingers closed in on your face. "I-I've seen it all. Memories upon memories that were erased are flooding back and — sometimes, I just wish this endless cycle would end..."

"(Y/n), I'm so sorry," he whispered, "but we can work through this together—"

"No, Myth—" Your heart clenching, you ignored his outstretched hand. "I think it's time for us to part ways... you'd get much more things done without me. Look how I made us fail together—"

Before he could reply, you had already risen from the hard wood, legs walking away with a mind of their own. Without a second thought, Myth's hand shot out and wrapped itself around your wrist tightly.

"I won't let you go out there alone, (Y/n)!" Myth cried out desperately. You turned back to face him, shooting him a pained look. His green eyes darkened when you pulled away with all the force you had left. "I won't let you get hurt again — not by him."

"Logan... I'm sorry, but I really think it's best if we go separate ways," you whispered woefully and stepped back once he advanced towards you. You felt utterly horrible with the taste of failure still lingering on your tongue. "I need some time for myself... I think we're distracting each other too much."

Before you could react, Myth had already grabbed you by your shoulders tightly. His eyes were unnaturally wide, scaring you quite a bit. "I can't let you go out there alone... not after what he — no, I — has done to you. I swore to make things right this time," he whimpered, begging you to understand, "I can't lose you again, (Y/n)... I can't lose you to that monster!"