XLII

"You're useless..." Syren eyed you; an annoyed snarl escaped her throat.

"I've always been." You laughed dryly, your cheek stinging from being slapped numerous of times. The redhead rolled her eyes and bent down to your eye level. She was overly irked by your not so witty comebacks. The villainess had spent the last few hours trying to squeeze information out of you — squandered time she could have used to work out her master plan to destroy Halo City.

"Let's just get rid of her... I mean her hero isn't going to come save her anyway," Feline suggested casually. Sitting on a crate, she was busy shaping her nails with a small nail file. Syren hummed, not entirely sure if that was the right decision. After seconds of listening to Feline filing her nails, she nodded, pulling out a sharp throwing knife from her costume. A little scream escaped your lips once you noticed the metal gleaming under the light of a nearby lamp.

Feline lazily glanced up before she quickly went back to her work; that was until she realised what her mistress was about to do. With a little gasp, she jumped up from her seated position and darted over to Syren before she could throw the knife right between your two eyes.

"That's not what I meant!" Feline yelled as she stopped Syren by grabbing her arm before the knife could leave her grasp and zoom through the musky air. You felt like fainting in relief when the knife fell to the ground with a hard clink. Her mistress lowered her gaze as she yanked her arm out of Feline's hold. The cat bowed respectfully, taking a step back. "I-I didn't mean it that way; we don't want to murder her! Let's just throw her out into the streets... she's of no threat anyway!"

"Are you sure about that?" Syren drawled, her hood covering her furious green eyes. The apprentice nodded with a nervous gulp; she slowly stepped out of the room. No one should underestimate Syren, a lesson many learnt the hard way. She rolled her eyes as Feline disappeared into the shadows, becoming one with them. You were left alone with the most dangerous woman in all of Halo City and yet, a proud smile graced your chapped lips.

"You're such a bother... I swear." Syren sighed as a defeated scowl made its way to her plush lips. You shrugged, thanking whoever had heard your prayer out there. She hissed lowly before she exited the hall you were currently trapped in as well. Surprised at her sudden shift in mood, you narrowed your eyes.

"Wait, are we finished already?" you asked, confusion lacing your hurried words. She stopped in her walk, fists clenched as she didn't turn around to face you. Gulping, you hoped that this wouldn't result in another near death experience; you had had enough emotional trauma for a day.

"Oh, perhaps?" She laughed loudly, your words greatly amusing her. You pursed your lips at her reaction, not liking the vagueness her remark provided. Sighing exhaustedly, you sank into the uncomfortable wooden chair you were currently tied to.

"Can you at least untie me?" you requested, hope flashing across your burning (E/c) hues.

"No can do," were her last words before she disappeared from your eyesight. You groaned in exasperation, slowly getting fed up with the villainess. How could one person be so aggravating and scary at the same time, you wondered.

"Great..." you huffed to yourself, letting your head hang forward, "just great."

"Don't fret! Your hero has come to save you!" a voice shouted, making you jump out of shock. The scrawny chair tipped over, causing you to crash to the hard concrete ground. A pained groan escaped your lips as you were left immobilised. At least Myth had come to save you and the day.

"Myth, hurry up—" you mumbled once you heard footsteps approaching your figure on the ground. Gloved hands started to skilfully undo the ropes binding you to the gaunt chair. Once he was done, you carefully stood up from amidst the abundance of coarse rope. With wobbly legs, you tried to stand, but after having sit so long, you didn't have the most confidence in your two legs. Before your legs could give away from the sudden shift of weight, strong arms wrapped around your waist to support you.