XIV

"And at last, I have you!" Logan shouted as he raised a framed picture of you into the air, a crazed grin spreading across his lips. Props were strewn across the stage, creating a messy room as the location. "Oh, Mrs. Cameron... or should I call you Mrs. Valentine? Yes, that has a much better ring to it, don't you think so?"

Loud laughter escaping his throat, he hugged the rectangle closer to his chest. His beige trench coat flew around in the air as he twirled around with the picture of his beloved in his arms.

"Now, no one will be able to get between us ever again!"

Mary laid on the ground, covering her wounded leg with her hands. Her eyes darted to her trusty gun lying a few metres away from her. Logan was busy, giving her the perfect opportunity to carefully reach out and grab the gun with the last of her remaining will.

"Until death will do you part," Mary whispered as the trigger clicked in her hand. Logan didn't have a chance to turn around before a loud shot echoed through the whole hall. When silence settled once again, his limp body laid amidst the props. Her hand slowly let go of the weapon, her arm falling back to the ground. With a heart-wrenching sob, she leant her head against the prop wall and closed her eyes. "I-I had to kill you, Detective... love made you a monster. I'm sorry, but I need (Y/n) to be safe—"

"Mary! You're supposed to say, 'I'm sorry, but I need Mrs. Cameron to be safe!'" Ms. Taylor shouted angrily, throwing her script to the ground as she let herself fall into her seat. Mary winced a little bit at her tone, nodding quickly and taking a deep breath. "For the last time, be in character! Mrs. Cameron, not (Y/n)!"

"Alright, Ms. Taylor." The blonde sighed in compliance.

"We'll repeat the scene again! Scene—"

"Excuse me?" a shaky voice appeared from the door to the hallway, everyone's eyes turning to its source — including you. Your ears perked up, recognising the voice. It was a female you knew fairly well. "I'm here to pick up (Y/n) (L/n). It's an emergency."

"An emergency?" Ms. Taylor repeated, surprised at the woman's inquiry. Your teacher's watchful eyes searched for a particular female student of hers — (H/c) hair, (E/c) eyes. Scanning the strewn out crowd, her gaze stopped when it landed on you. "Oh well... you're free to go with Ms.—"

"Ms. Adler."

"—Ms. Adler, right. You're finished with your appearances on stage, anyway. Get your stuff and we'll see each other next week," Ms. Taylor continued with a sweet smile on her face, sending you a comforting nod before she turned back to the stage. You slowly rose from your seat, feeling uncomfortable as everyone's eyes pierced your back. Especially Logan seemed like he was about to sprint after you while you hastily made your way through the rows to reach Ms. Adler.

Anne stared off into the distance as the large metal doors clicked close, her lips slowly curling into a smile as she mindlessly scratched the velvety seat she was seated upon. "The time has come, hasn't it, Mistress?" she slowly whispered to herself. Her eyes turning into slits and she silently started cackling to herself.

Tell me, are you sure you can trust your closest friends?

"Ms. Adler, what's going on?" You didn't dare to voice your question until now. The sleek, black car you were currently seated inside was zooming through the high-end urban district of Halo City. Your eyes trailed after the mindless NPCs going through their coded routines. They kept you calm, keeping the feeling of suffocating at bay. But, even if you dreaded her answer, you desperately wanted to know the truth. Much to your dismay, she kept silent. You needed an answer. She normally wasn't this quiet. Irene Adler — your uncle's assistant — was the most talkative and brave woman you had ever met. She had been your role model when you were younger. But now that you had gotten older, you hadn't seen her for a very long time.