LXVII

"What are we supposed to do?! That's the third time he respawned!"

"He'll respawn on and on," you muttered under your breath whilst you were busy hiding behind a few crates strewn around. Degree and Myth were also taking cover behind some other impenetrable obstacles. For now, it was quiet, but who knew when Logan would come back again. The three of you had the upper hand, but Logan had one defining advantage that put all of your combined strength to dust: The ability to respawn until he'd accomplish his goal. You sighed and wiped the sweat off your forehead. "We need some plan, guys... we can't keep doing this forever!"

"Who's ready for the next round?" Logan's voice suddenly reached your ears as his slowly pixelating form appeared at the end of the bridge. You gulped slightly, hoping you'd also manage to survive this wave. You knew your time was up once Logan's figure was finished loading, no more pixels floating around him. "I could do this all day, you three."

"We sadly can't..." Degree hissed under her breath. She dared to peek up slightly to find the Vasum almost fully charged; she'd be able to activate her machine soon, which would cause your doom. For a moment, Degree felt helpless. The odds stood against you and there seemed to be no solution to this dilemma.

"Degree, come out to play!" Logan drawled once he spotted her purple pair of eyes. Quickly, she descended into cover again to shoot Myth and you a frustrated look. Logan rubbed his temples. "This is boring, you guys."

"Mary, we need to distract him so future Logan can get to Syren in time," you hissed over to the two heroes not too far away from you. They nodded at each other, ready to act upon your words. Taking a deep breath, you suddenly shot up from your hiding place. "Logan! You're bored?" You tried to hide the shakiness of your voice. Flailing your arms just to make sure you caught his attention, you felt horribly stupid; but it was a small price to pay if you wanted to save Halo City. He raised his head to meet your (E/c) eyes at your sudden exclamation, lighting up once he realised that the boredom was over. "Come and get us if you can!"

"Oh, you're on it, (Y/n)—" Logan charged at you, his hands ready to grab you. Before he could though, Degree jumped out from behind her cover and apprehended the hawk. "Now, Logan!" you screamed at Myth, urging him to make his way to Syren before Logan could free himself.

"Will do! Don't get yourself killed, please." Myth's words were half joking and half serious. As quickly as he could, he dashed over to the end of the bridge and entered the main platform. You had no further chance to look after him, needing to focus your whole attention to the villain that had managed to break free.

"I can play this game forever, but can you?" Logan knocked the air out of your lungs by tackling you to the hard ground. You gasped for air as your eyes darted over to Degree who painstakingly sat up from the hard ground. Lying on your stomach, you tried to turn around to get a better view of your attacker. Yet, as you felt sharp claws gently trailing down the sensitive skin on the back of your neck, you froze in fear. "It didn't have to come to this, (Y/n)."

"It did," you hissed under your breath, squinting your eyes close in fear. "He'll defeat Syren; he'll defeat you, you monster."

"I perhaps am a monster to you... but if that's necessary to save you once and for all, I'll have to accept that."

It's not too late for me, yet.

"Is this... is this really the right thing to do?" Syren was unsure while her green eyes were fixated on the red button gleaming under the moonlight. With a heavy heart, she gazed up at the fully charged Vasum, ready to fuel her machine. "I knew I shouldn't have let Logan sway me... I should have just gone with my initial plan..."