XVIII

"You're stupid... delusional," Syren scoffed, her voice rising when she continued with her words. Her green orbs fiercely glared into Myth's; he froze in his tracks. For a moment, the wind stopped howling while Syren took a deep breath. Raising her hand calmly, parts of the frozen surface behind her gave away to the rapid waves of the water underneath it. The mighty water rose to an unbelievably high tower at her command. "Do you really think that we don't remember — that we don't feel like you do? We may not be human, like you, but we aren't just binaries and codes as well."

"I'm sorry—"

"Sadly, forgetting isn't as easy as forgiving." Her voice cracked for a moment. It was her first time showing any weakness to Myth, her emotions overwhelming her greatly. Her hand turned into a fist and the water bent over dangerously, almost tipping over. "...I know that too well. Myth, you'd do well to remember my words."

Myth was left speechless, his mind close to shutting down because of the overwhelming guilt. It flooded his whole body, leaving him frozen as the whole mass of destructive water was hurled towards him with a flick of her hand. He raised his head and could do nothing but witness how the force of nature would consume him whole. He closed his eyes, ready to be taken by the hungry waves. He just wanted the never-ending regret to go away.

"Myth!" It was her voice, so soft and delicate. Her trust had been fragile and yet — he had thrown it away without another thought. He took a deep breath, trying to keep her voice out of his head. He must have already gone mad.

"I'm sorry, (Y/n)," he whispered slowly to himself.

"You idiot!" you screamed again, trying to catch his attention. Myth snapped out of his thoughts and opened his eyes, finding the large body of water a few metres above him. It fell at the speed of a snail, taking its sweet time as he gazed at it in awe. "Get out of there before you die!"

Myth turned around to find a female standing on the docks, waving her arms around frantically — you. Your jacket clung to your body like a second skin; the rain seeped into the fabric of your clothes. He sighed, a bittersweet smile adorning his lips. Both relief and fear rushed through his veins at the sight of you. He took a deep breath, trying to calm down before he rose into the air and flew towards you. Just in time as the waves started to violently nag away at the ice.

Had your powers already become this strong?

Much to his confusion, only you and him could move normally while the rest of the world was slowed down. With his green eyes set on you, he felt even more guilt eating away at his heart. And as his feet touched the ground under his boots, he didn't dare to look into your worried (E/c) eyes.

Find strength in your weakness; learn from your mistakes and you'll become unstoppable.

Degree's limbs moved through the freezing water, her legs and arms pushing her forward as she cut through the liquid. Bubbles escaped from her mouthpiece, searching their way to the top. Yet, they couldn't escape and were trapped underneath the thick layer of pearly white ice. The ocean at this depth was dark, cunning and yet unexpectedly peaceful.

But with her headlamp only lighting a few feet in front of her eyes, she felt like easy prey; powerless because of her natural enemy — water — surrounding her completely. She moved deeper, following the sporadic signs of energy being emitted from the item that Syren desperately searched for.

The closer she got, the more she could make out the silhouette of an unknown person looming above the ocean ground. Rays of light from the little box illuminated the figure as they held it in their hands. From the figure, she could make the person out to be a male. His back was turned to her as he eyed the object in question in awe, lifting the in seaweed covered box carefully.