XIX

"You two could prove to be helpful allies," Syren exclaimed as the ice receded, leaving her to stand on the peaceful surface of the ocean. Your eyes widened as you stared at her legs, how they took one step after another as if the ripples of the water were as hard as concrete. "Join me and together, we'll conquer Halo City! You know that you can trust me, don't you, my little darlings?"

"Never!" Myth shouted angrily, his face contorted into a scowl as he pushed you behind him. With you shielded away from the villainess' sight, she clicked her tongue at your little puppy. "Not this time and not ever again!"

"What do you say, (Y/n)?" she asked as she hopped onto the wooden dock, her feet landing with a little thump as the planks cried out under her power. You peeked out from behind Myth, her hypnotising green eyes appearing for a split second from under her hood. "Together, you and I! You have it in you to be a villain, my dear. Leave that little boy and finish what your mother would have wanted you to."

You hesitated, your throat raspy as the storm in your head still raged on.

"(Y/n), please..." Myth whispered, turning his head to face you. He looked desperate. "Do the right thing."

"Well, Myth here can tell you that being the villain is much more fun than being the hero!" Syren's lips turned into a cunning grin — sadistic almost. "Tell her how much fun it is to kill the innocent and to betray those who loved you dearly—"

"Stop it!" Your scream echoed through the silent harbour, shocking everyone present. Syren gasped, clenching her heart. Your emotions and memories whirled inside of you, not giving you any rest. Her taunting made them much worse than they had been beforehand.

"Fine, your loss." She rolled her eyes. Her gaze fell onto the little accessory in her hand, her fingers delicately folding around it. In her closed palm laid a little hairpin with a magnificent shell glued onto it. She felt it resonating with her powers, strengthening her to her former might. "I'm one step closer to my goal, now that my little treasure is back."

"We're going to stop you," you hissed with a determined glow in your (E/c) hues.

"Not when all I need is just something that you have, (Y/n). And since you're not going to give it to me willingly, I'll make you." She paused, her voice low as she spoke. "I'll make you feel what I went through — I'll make your life a living hell. Your loved ones will betray you; it will be unbearable."

"Just try," Myth shouted, his eyes burning with utter hatred. "I'll never let you harm her or anyone in this city!"

"I'll take away your little treasure, Myth. Count on my words." She laughed menacingly, raising both of her arms into the air. As quickly as she had finished her sentence, a large fountain of water emerged from the ocean. It consumed her whole, swallowing her into her safe haven. She had escaped, both of you knew that as you stared at the sleeping sea.

"Don't worry, (Y/n)." Myth smiled towards you reassuringly, his gaze never straying away from you. He gently took your hands and even though the pain appeared once again, you obeyed his touch. "I'll be your hero... I'll keep you safe."

"While we're at it," you hummed as you scratched your chin with a worried glimmer in your eyes, "could you please go look for my friend, Logan? He disappeared in the middle of the night and I fear that something has happened to him."

"S-Sure, don't worry about that," Myth muttered nervously. "I'm sure he's alright. He sounds like a smart boy—"

"That was a funny joke, Myth!" You laughed uncontrollably as you playfully punched his shoulder, your chest heaving up and down. Myth's smile fell for a second at your sudden outburst. You calmed down, wiping a tear from your left eye before you shook your head with a silly smile. "No, jokes aside, he's actually really smart."