XXXIV

"I still don't understand why she's stuck in the last playthrough..." Mary sighed as she picked up a random piece of rubble and threw it into the corner of the warehouse. Logan and Shadow weren't too far away from her, busy too with cleaning up the only place that had stayed unaffected by the changes. Since it had harboured the source of the time tear, everything in a ten metre radius had stayed the same. The warehouse was mostly in tact, only a few collapsed walls here and there. "I mean... why didn't she go back into the past with us..."

"The power inside her was too strong, I think," Shadow explained while they tried to make their way to the time machine, which had caused this mess. Luckily — after they had managed to get into the main room of the villainess' former base — they found the time machine to be miraculously in tact.

"Phew, I hope it's still working," Logan exclaimed. He waved his hand around, trying to rid the air of all the dust particles from the destroyed walls. Carefully, the trio advanced on the unmoving machine with high hopes. "It's our last hope..."

"I doubt it's working—" Mary retorted as soon as her eyes couldn't find buttons or such to control the machine. Shadow nodded, tracing his gloved hand across the metallic surface. His hands clenching into fists, Logan merely groaned. "If it was this simple, Syren would have destroyed it already—"

"She's right." Shadow raised his gaze to meet his new allies. "Syren has the remote — without it, we can't control where we'd arrive. But luckily, there's just barely enough of (Y/n)'s powers saved in the machine to let us travel one final time."

"So, all we need to do now is get the remote from Syren?" Just as those words left Mary's lips, loud and dangerous thunder boomed outside — accompanied by strikes of bright lightning. The trio winced. Syren's mood was having a bad influence on the weather, causing it to rain and storm every second and every hour of the day.

"It's harder than it sounds." Logan sighed as a gust of wind was carried over to them, the broken walls providing no more protection. Shadow hummed, his eyes trained on the cage you had been sitting in just barely a week ago. "The storm will be hard to navigate through... the closer we get to Syren, the worse the weather becomes."

Meanwhile — while the two boys were forging and evaluating their chances — a simple piece of paper caught Mary's eyes. Maybe it was a note with something important on it. She stalked away, bending down to carefully pull the note out from under the glass shards. Wiping the white dust away, her eyes skimmed its contents.

XI.I.MMXVII

He's really a sweetheart, he's always on my mind. And simultaneously, a new hero seems to have popped out of nowhere. I don't think my opinion on them needs to be stated though. I'm going to visit my parents today with Logan; maybe I'll be able to buy some flowers for them.

- IV -

Mary recognised the handwriting from the many times she had stolen assignments from this particular person — you. Maybe, these notes would prove to be important in the future.

"Guys? I found—"

"Not now, Degree... we need to work on a plan," Shadow interrupted as he briefly turned around, his eyes completely serious. Logan hadn't even acknowledged her from how deep in thoughts he was. She clenched her hands into fists, her heart breaking slightly at his words.

Fine, they wouldn't need to know, she decided angrily.

Quickly, she set the note aflame in her right hand, smoke rising up to the ceiling. She huffed and joined their side. Her arms were crossed impatiently.