→ Samuel Emerson- Girl Under the Moon ←

Third person POV

Y/N's leg bounce up and down as she watched the sun disappear to be replaced by billions of stars through her special tinted windows. She'd been waiting to go outside the whole day. She would've gone out during the day time. However, her xeroderma pigmentosa wouldn't allow it.

Due to this disease, she wasn't allowed to go under the sun. If she does, chances are that she might not live.

So she had to stay home with special tinted windows to prevent her from getting exposed to the sun. Her whole life, she'd been home schooled and she never made friends with anyone. Yes, it was lonely at times, but she was able to manage just being with her parents. She was lucky enough to get their permission to go outside every night; whether of it's just in their back yard or she goes somewhere else.

Tonight, she decided to stay at her backyard instead, read a book by the small firepit that was built in the yard. Though, of course, she can never go outside without something to fill her stomach. So, she brought her pack of marshmallows and Graham crackers with her along with her book and a portable speaker to play something whilst doing her activities.

Since she was always out in the night, she knew to herself that they have neighbors who would want some peace. She didn't want to play any song that would cause any complaints. So she chose songs that could both lull people to sleep and keep them awake at times.

While she was turning her speaker on, she suddenly heard men shouting from the next door. It wasn't as new to her. Her neighbours keep on getting on each other's throats most of the nights she'd go out and spend her time in the backyard. Their shouts were loud enough to understand what they were arguing about this time.

Though, it was always the same; it was about the man's sons' mother.

Usually, she'd see a boy, about her age, open the lights to his room in the corner of her eye like clockwork. But, this time, she heard their front door open.

And because of that, she immediately turned back to watched the fire dance on the pit. Y/N didn't want them to get a bad impression from her. They might think she's a meddler.

She heard mutters and huffs as the blond boy stormed away from his abode. Y/N wanted to ask if he was all right. Then again, he might just want to be left alone. Thus, she started roasting her marshmallows instead.

Meanwhile, the whiff of burnt marshmallows caught the boy's attention. Indeed they did celebrate his mother's birthday with a cake, yet not one of his family, even him, touched the cake they baked. He was ravenous at this time. He couldn't help but look at Y/N's s'mores from a distant with a growling stomach.

"Can I help you?" Until his gaze of hunger was snapped out of him when the girl who was making them called him out. The both of them looked at each other, dumbfounded. He wanted to speak, but nothing seem to come out of him.

"What's your name?" She asked the boy, lowering down the volume of her music.

"Sam." He replied timidly.

What gave his hunger away was how his eyes were still fixated on the plate of s'mores. Y/N figured out he was starving when he faintly licked his lips whilst staring at her food. "Do you want some?" She offered her plate. That's when the boy shied away, making Y/N roll her eyes. "Come on, I don't bite. You can join me for all I care."

The girl didn't mind waving for him to come over and sit with her. He seemed harmless, she thought to herself. Why not let him join me?

Eventually, Sam opened the fence door that divided their houses and walked in her backyard. His hands began to get clammy as Y/N watched him sit down next to her, who offered him a s'more. "Knock yourself out." She chuckled, opening her book to where she last read it.

Slowly, he took one and devoured it. It was the only food he has had in a week. His father always drive their profit away to the casino, leaving them with nothing to eat. He didn't realize he ate it quickly until he looked at the plate.

There was only one left.

"I'm sorry for eating most of it." Samuel spoke up, with a nervous laugh.

"It's fine." Y/N assured. "I made ten, anyway. I think I can live with five s'mores." She giggled, which made Sam blush. It was then, she remembered she hasn't introduced herself to the boy beside her. "The name's Y/N, by the way. You've probably seen me hang out here a lot at night."

"I have." Sam simply said only to realize that he probably sounded like a stalker. "Not that I watch you every time or anything!"

It made Y/N laugh. "It's okay. I understand what you're saying." She reassured once more. This time, she was amused. Not to mention, he was somewhat attractive. "Besides, if you were watching me, we're kind of even." She stated as she closed her unread book again, finding it more interesting to talk to someone else besides her family.

Sam quirked an eyebrow at the girl, curious. "How so?" He questioned.

"I sometimes watch you go and fix your car whenever I'm bored." Y/N admittedly shared to him. A part of her regretted she said it to he himself. It got her as flushed as him.

By then, there was nothing to be heard aside from the crackling of burning wood and there music that was still playing on the speaker. The silence between them was unexplainably awkward yet comfortable at the same time.

That is, until Sam got into a deep query. "How come you only go outside at night?" Asked him towards the girl.

Y/N didn't want to answer that with the whole truth. "I like looking at the Moon." So she told him the partial truth as to why she gets out of the house at this time. "It mesmerizes me." She added. "It somehow accepts me enough to shine down on me."

"What do you mean?" Sam suddenly halted her fascination towards the Moon. Y/N never meant to go too deep with the information.

Before she could answer him, Y/N's mother called for her as it was time to get back inside. And boy, did she silently thanked her for it. "I, uhm, have to go." Y/N said whilst gathering up her things, "You should go, too. My parents might make a conversation with you if you'd stay a little longer." She joked.

Sam seemed crestfallen when they couldn't stay longer. He wanted to see her again. "Could we meet--"

"Yes." The two of them didn't expect Y/N to answer quickly. She felt that its best to pause and smile for a second. "Tomorrow, when the sun is gone." Sam only nodded in response.

"It was nice meeting you."

Once Y/N was back inside her house, Sam let out his breath. He didn't notice he was holding it until she was gone. Moreover, he had lost his ability to stop himself from smiling. Though, he was still confused.

Why is my heart beating so fast?

«-◎•●•◎-»

I can see part 2 waving 👀🤭

Have a good day/night!✨

-BloodyinspiredTri🖤