Newt- "The hell is your problem?" pt. 2

Changed my mind about giving you a small binge-read time. I feel like y'all are in suspense lmao.

Enjoy reading!

⸝⸝⸝⸝⸝

The whole trip to the first couple of abandoned stores in search of the things on the list was quiet. Other than the sound of their jeep's engine, not a single peep of their own voice was heard coming from their mouths.

Newt and Y/N eventually settled on taking turns when it can to driving their chosen vehicle. Right now, making their way down to their fourth stop, Newt was the one driving.

Y/N took the times when he was driving as an opportunity to get comfortable on her seat. She had herself slumped back with her legs open, bouncing one of them from time to time. She also took it as an opportunity to glance at him as if she was telepathically asking him if he was gonna talk.

Alas, Newt only focused on the road with his signature frown plastered on his face, thumb tapping on the wheel as he felt Y/N look at him. He could tell that she wanted them to talk even though there was nothing to converse about. That she wanted to make their friendship still work regardless of their separation that was due to the loss of feelings for one another. To make things feel normal (whatever that means) and comfortable enough to become at least comrades like their other friends.

Of course, Newt felt the same about it, but whatever it is, something was holding him back from doing so. He tried thinking of something that is at least funny to talk about. Yet his mind decided to go completely blank in spite of all the hilarious moments he'd seen way back from home. So, unfortunately enough, they had to drown themselves into this pure, shiny, awkward tension.

"Okay, then." That is, until Y/N suddenly let out a sigh as she looked away from him. She put her sunglasses at the top of her head before she opened up the compartment in front of her to see a bundle of CDs and cassette tapes that consisted of some music.

Newt heard her rummaging through the compartment, making him curious. "What are you doing?" He asked, keeping his eyes on the road.

"Well, since we don't seem to plan on talking for the whole errand trip," Y/N replied whilst going through all the cassette tapes in search for one that was winded back to the start, "we might as well just listen to some tunes instead."

Eventually, she stopped fumbling over the compartment in front of her with a contented sigh when she got a decent cassette tape. Four bands were listed on the front such as the Beatles, Queen, Sex Pistols, and Kiss. Her eyes diverted to the cassette slot and thought, I hope this works.

With that, she inserted the tape into the slot and waited for a second to find out that Paperback Writer was the first track. Both nodded slowly along the rhythm of the guitar while Y/N put her glasses back with her lips pulling up into a smirk, feeling the music.

When Newt gave her a quick glance, he spotted her playing an air guitar while singing along to the song. The cracking of her voice made him laugh, making Y/N genuinely glad that she went along with it. "Better to sing them out than never, my dude." She remarked.

Unfortunately, Newt wasn't going for it. Yes, he enjoyed watching her have fun, but he wasn't up to joining this level of entertainment. "Come on, Newt! It's not fun if I'm the only one!" But Y/N insisted, "Please? Just until we get to our next stop."

As soon as Newt bit his lip in thought, I Want to Break Free started playing. Y/N gave him an exaggerated pleading pout when he glanced at her again. Oh, shuck it.