The Impossible Bond - Part 1

The next morning was oddly quiet , and silence was dominating the breakfast . The members of SEES had witnessed yet another death of someone close to them . While their chairman wasn't liked by anyone ... to put it light ... but the way she lost her life was haunting , more specifically for Minako who actually witnessed it .

" what's wrong ? " Ryoji tried. Start a conversation " couldn't you sleep well last night ? "

" yeah ... well ... " Yukari decided to respond " we couldn't ... "

" you were going someplace last night , some place called ... Tartar sauce ? Guess the chairman was right in insisting that you stay indoors " Ryoji looked around " speaking of which , where is ... ?"

" say , Ryoji " Junpei decided to change the subject quickly " what do you think of Japan in general ? "

" oh , it's such a beautiful country " Ryoji smiled as he looked at Minako " and it's especially beautiful because you're in it "

" Ryoji ... " while the others sighed and rolled their eyes at Ryoji's remark , Minako smiled back and said " thank you , Ryoji "

" say , Minako , what are you doing after ... ? " Ryoji started

" Minako-san will be busy practicing in tennis club " Aigis interrupted sternly " and on that note , we are going to be late for school ! "

Ryoji was preparing to leave the school , when he saw Minako at the gate . He was surprised to see her there , as Aigis had told him that she was staying after school for practice , but he didn't think about it too much as he approached her . As the two took the monorail back to the dorm , Ryoji could tell that Minako seemed absentminded , even though she seemed as happy as ever to be with him .

" you look troubled " Ryoji asked worriedly " is this about that place you wanted to go to after midnight ?"

" yes ... " Minako said with a troubled look on her face " last night , we went to Tartarus . There were lost people in there that we had to save , but one of them , the chairman of our dorm , went berserk and attacked me . She was turning into a shadow ... and I ... ended up killing her ..."

" I see ... "

" well , the others kept telling me it wasn't my fault , and I want to believe them , but ... well ... " Minako sighed " people who get lost in Tartarus get turned into shadows more quickly nowadays , and when they begin turning , we can no longer save them "

" in this world , people die every day ... " Ryoji replied dryly " that's just something one must learn to accept "

" what ... ?" Minako's eyes darted toward him

" am I ... being too cold ? ... "

" well ... no ... " Minako couldn't respond to that " what you said was true ... but ... "