twenty-three

Water was splashed harshly, making the 5-year-old girl jolt harshly with a pant, hearing the faint mechanical whirring below her before a scream left her body at the sharp edges she now felt around her arms. Looking up with scared eyes and her breathing still out of control she was met with the red eyes of her father, and the green of her mother. 

"Stay still sweetheart, you don't want to hurt yourself," her father said, a small smirk on his features.

"W-" pain, had little Eli cut herself off before she could say anything, looking down at her arms to see that they had large metal bands wrapped around them. She looked at them with woozy eyes, as she blinked rapidly, still trying to wake herself up. 

Her father squatted down to her level. 

"You see, in these little gauntlets are dozens of knives, all sides so make sure to keep your arms up. You see every time you move-" he cut himself off as he threw his hand at her making Eli flinch roughly before she heard the same faint whirring from below before she screeched in pain, the edges of the knives digging into her arms further. 

"Like that, these things will just get tighter," he told her, a playful grin on his face as he looked at her. 

"So I think it's best not to move too much," he chided before standing up from his squatted position and going back to his wife. 

"Keep your arms still, that much you should know how to do," her mother said, an aloft look in her eyes as she stared at her daughter watching as her husband jumped and began to waltz back over to their daughter. 

"Oh! I almost forgot. Heroes, Eli, heroes withstand many things, and one of those things is pain. Not to say that you'll ever be a hero, no, but if you want to be able to kill them, yes," her father bent down to whisper into her ear before he raised his hand again swiftly, watching as Eli didn't flinch as hard this time. 

"Good," he said tapping her shoulder lightly before walking back over to his wife and putting her hand in his. 

"We'll be back in the morning, please, try not to get too much blood on the floor," her mother urged as they turned around and began to walk away. Her husband opened the door for her, and she nodded, giving him the kind smile she never gave Eli, before both of them left. 

Leaving Eli alone, tired, and arms cramping for hours as she tried with all her might to keep them raised

·٠•●♥ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ♥●•٠·˙ ˙·٠•●♥ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ♥●•٠·˙

A gasp jerked Katsuki from his sleep, his eyes flying open to look at Eli, who was rushing to get out of the bed. 

Sweat stuck to her body, as she gasped. She rubbed her arms hastily as she scooted herself off the bed. Her body trembled and her hot skin grew cold as made haste to open one of the balcony doors and stepped out, desperately trying to take in huge gulps of air. 

"Bell, what the hell," Katsuki mumbled, following behind her to stand beside her. With wide eyes, he took one of his hands and placed it on her shoulder, taking notice of how hot her skin was before taking another step towards her. 

"S-sorry, whew, y-yea it's just a weird dream, and I-I got really hot-" she began, but she was cut off by her own wheeze, followed by a small cough. Katsuki almost rolled his eyes before he pulled her into a hug.

"You're doing that thing you told us not to do... idiot," he mumbled making Eli fidget before she sighed, leaning her head to sit on his shoulder, and wrapped her own arms around him.