Breaking Free

Chapter 12
Ari's pov

Eternal darkness.

It's my prison.

This is where I was born, and where I will likely die.

There is no way to tell how time passes here. Nothing to indicate how long I've been in this place. The one thing I am sure of, is that I'm completely alone.

Had I of never known that others exist, I may have been okay with this fate. Unfortunately though, I found the light.

And yes I say unfortunately because had I of never found that place I wouldn't know that something better even exsisted. But I do. And having that knowledge consumes my every thought.

The light is a place I've managed to escape to multiple times. When I fight with every ounce of strength I have in me, I can break through to it. It's a place where not only can I see, and hear and smell things, but there's things there that can see me too.

There's lots of other beings there, some smaller, some bigger and some that whip above my head. There's even some that are able to run up these tall structures, although that's not something I can do. Yes, I've tried.

It's beautiful there. Full of life and sound and smell.

Here, there is nothing. Nothing to see, nothing to hear, nothing to smell. Absolute nothing.

When I move around in the darkness, there is no sound. I can go in the same direction, I assume, endlessly, never coming into contact with anything.

I wish there was something more that I could tell you about where I live. But besides my own thoughts and feelings, which are just as dark as where I live, there is nothing to tell.

The first several times I broke through to the light, I found myself surrounded by beings that were mostly larger than myself. Scared that they were there to prevent me from leaving my prison, I forced my way through them, by any means necessary.

I used to think that if I ran fast enough, far enough, that the darkness wouldn't be able to clutch me back in it's embrace.

I was wrong.

Very, very wrong.

The light is where I want to live.

Where the other things live.

Where the one like me lives. His outer appearance is light, where as mine is dark. He's always there. Every time I manage to find the light, he's always there. Waiting for me? I'm not sure, but if feels like it. He always stays far enough back from me, to let me know he's not gonna try to push me back in the dark.

The others that used to be there when I first found that place no longer show up. They learned the hard way that I wasn't going back without a fight.

The light one usually just follows me, watching my every move. Occasionally he tries to communicate with me, but I have no clue what he's saying.

Speaking of the light, I've been trying to get there now for a while. I've never had to fight this hard before. I just need to save up all my energy then push. Push against the darkness.