Who's The Dimwit Now

Chapter 56
Ari's pov

I'm sorry Azariah, I didn't know.

In my excitement to get out and see Ehron, I forced the shift a bit too fast, causing her to scream out in pain. I can see in her mind that it was like being torn apart from all angles at once.

She's still laying there, in agony, not answering me.

Azariah, please say something. I'm so sorry. It won't ever happen again.

Just let me be for now. Go run with your boy. I'll be fine.

I hear Ehron whimper, as she says this to me. Looking over in his direction, I'm momentarily frozen. He's just sitting there, waiting for me to move, or do something. He's closer than he usually gets to me, and he tilts his head, in question of my stillness.

Slowly padding my way over to him, I let out a small yip, letting him know I'm okay. I brush up alongside of him, then circle around and lick at his face. Immediately he returns the gesture, licking and rubbing himself all over me.

This whole thing feels surreal. I've always been afraid when I came into the light, not trusting anyone or anything. Saying I was shocked when I learned who and what I was is an understatement.

Learning your half wolf half human after years of being in the dark would break most people's minds. Not me. I've been forced to be strong, forced to face my fears. And I'm sure the beautiful golden-furred wolf who's standing in front of me has a lot to do with it too.

He's been my only constant through all of this. The one thing I could always count on. The biggest light in my otherwise dark existence.

When he circles back around in front of me, I nudge him with my head, telling him to stop. I lean down and lick the leg I bit the last time we were together, and let out a small whimper, telling him I'm sorry. He leans down, putting his belly on the ground, and whimpers back. I have no clue what this means.

He's submitting to you. It's a sign of love and respect. And he's telling you he's not mad.

Knowing what I plan to do, I look around and realize this isn't the right place. I take off running, knowing he'll follow. He always does. Without fail, he never leaves me on my own. Azariah says it's because he loves me and wants to protect me, and I really hope she's right.

I keep going till I reach the river, then pad in and get a drink. Ehron catches up with me quickly and joins me. The moon is full and bright, reflecting off the surface of the water. This is perfect. If according to how Azariah's mind shows me it's done, the full moon is the best time to do this. They think it's the time when the Moon Goddess is most likely to see and hear you.

Ehron comes over and sits next to me, rubbing his head against mine. It's at this moment that Azariah sees my intentions.

Oooooh, you go girl

Her encouragement is all I need, so I step out in front of Ehron and push his head to the side with mine. Once I have clear access to his neck, I strike fast, and sink my teeth in, breaking the skin instantly. I hold him in place like this not knowing how long I'm supposed to. He squirms a bit but settles down within seconds, honestly he has no choice as I'm not letting up.