The Show Must Go On

Chapter 29
Azariah's pov

A wise man once said that you should learn something new every day. It's when you stop learning that you become stupid.

Today I learned that my new best friend is truly frightening.

I figured she would be a ball of nerves, but nope, she's calm, cool, and collected. For someone who was about to hack into another pack's computer system, you would think she would be sweating even just a little.

Not her. Not even a little.

Hell, if I can't even tell that she's up to no good, there's no way anyone else will either. Lucky for me that she and I are on the same side.

This morning on the way to work we went over how we were gonna do this. What she would say once she was ready for me to do my thing. And how to act when the inevitable security comes in. I'm not concerned about that part. The fact that I am truly dense about these machines will work in my favor. As long as she keeps her cool, this should go exactly as planned.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't just a little worried about this. If we do get caught, how the hell do I explain to Micah and Alpha Garette why I helped hack another pack's computer? I could be in some serious shit.

That's the other thing we spoke about. What we were going to say if we do get caught? Neither of us could come up with a good enough excuse, so we ended up agreeing to just not get caught. Sounds dumb, but it's all we got. Kinda hard to make something out of nothing. I'm just gonna put my faith in miss smarty pants, and hope for the best.

I show up to the lab right on time, and Amber greets me with a smile. She still doesn't show any signs of nervousness. Her demeanor is one of someone who is excited about something. Thankfully it's contagious, and I find myself smiling too. When we make it through this, I've decided to get us matching t-shirts. Ones that say..... Just because it's a bad idea, doesn't mean it won't be a good time.

Amber gets a few experiments set up for us, and as expected, the two other people that are still here don't pay us any attention. We get all the beakers and vials, and Petri dishes out. She brings some samples from the fridge over and instructs me what to put where. Once the first set is ready, we put it into the separating machine and turn it on. Then I start mixing the next set while Amber goes to do her thing with the computer.

She does it so fast that even I didn't see her, then she comes over to me. And now it's go time.

"What's this?" She questions me.

"It's the samples from those vials you told me to put in here," I answer her.

"Then why is there an odd color to it?" She questions me.

"How the hell should I know? You got them, not me." I put my hands on my hips for good measure.

"Well, somehow they're contaminated, you'll need to rinse these out and sterilize them. We're gonna have to start over." She walks away from me.

The other two still don't pay us any attention, but with our heightened sense of hearing, they heard us. I go rinse out the Petri dishes and the beakers I used, then take them all over to the sterilizing machine. In they go, and voila, I turn it on.

The entire lab literally goes down in under three seconds.

I step back from the machine and look around all surprised. "Did I do that?" I yell out.