Nerds the Word

Chapter 22
Amber's pov

Do you know what the best part of being a nerd is? Besides the obvious which is being super smart, it's the fact that nobody ever suspects you. You never get second-guessed, questioned, or accused of wrongdoings.

Comes in handy I assure you. Take for example the other day, when Azariah made that discovery on the slide. She cleaned up without question and didn't think twice when I said I was going to check the labels on the vials we took samples from.

I hate that I deceived my friend, but in reality, I was stealing. That's right, you heard me, stealing.

I've never seen anything like what we found, and I had to find a way to take some so that I could inspect it further on my own, at our packs lab.

I capped the original test tube and kept the few slides as well, put them all in a bag, and into my work bag they went.

Not one person even looked my way. There were only four of us in here, but still. I was able to do this without raising suspicion, and surprisingly with a straight face. Not even Azariah suspected anything.

It's hard to explain, but something is just off, like in a creepy goosebumps kind of way. Whatever the hell those things are, they're not natural.

I don't want to raise any alarms, or concerns unless there's a reason to. So I spoke with the head of our lab department and asked if I could use the lab from time to time, after working hours of course. And once again, nobody suspects the nerd. It's all 'of course Amber, anything you need Amber, make yourself at home'.Hell, it's almost too easy.

And thank Goddess for that. I have no desire to explain why I took property from Ambersy pack all because I didn't know what it was and got curious.

Thankfully they say curiosity killed the cat, not the wolf.

So onto these weird hexagon-shaped blue things, Azariah discovered, they there amazingly creepy. I've noted that when there alone, they're still as if they never move to begin with. And if you never added another element into the equation, you probably would never know that they move. Or attack I guess is more like it.

Cause that's what they do, they attack everything they come into contact with. What I can't figure out is why.

They will completely surround anything you put with them, and try to figure out a way in. A way into their defenses? It kinda seems like it.

I have yet to introduce a live element to see how it responds. The question is what do I use, and where do I get it from?

No scratch that, the question is what the fuck is this thing? Who invented it, and what the hell is used for?

These aren't the kinds of questions I can just go asking the other people at the lab tho. If this is some sort of secret, and trust me it is, I could lose my job for sticking my nose where it doesn't belong. Plus something tells me I wasn't supposed to find it the way I did.

Somebody was careless. Otherwise, I would not be sitting here with some in my possession. I need to figure out where it came from, cause I'm gonna need another sample soon.

It's not kept in the main fridge in our lab, I've looked. There are other areas where we keep specimens and such, but I'm pretty sure my luck will run out if I go snooping around. I'm paid to run the labs they ask of me. Not poke my nose where they don't want it.