The Beat Down

Chapter 34
Azariah's pov

If you're going to commit a crime (not that I recommend this, of course), make sure your plan is virtually flawless.

Time and location of said crime? Check. Tools needed to commit crime? Check. Airtight alibi? Check and check.

I arrived home from Jace's at one forty-two am. I go up to my room, taking the stairs two at a time but also making sure I stomp just loud enough that someone will likely hear me.

Earlier, I had Amber text me when I was at Jace's house asking if I had time to talk. I responded with-At Jace's. Will text you when I get home. Step one of my illegal activities is complete.

Once I'm in my room, I go into my closet and change. All black garb is what I need tonight. Then I go and wet my hair and put it into a tight braid. Step two is done. Now I text Amber back.

Me-I'm home. Sorry, we watched another movie. Are you still up?

Amber replies fast. Of course.

And now I call her. Thus, I'm in the most important step in my plan.

"Okay, I think it's time you tell me what you're up to." Is how she answers her phone.

"Sorry, no can do. Are you ready?" I ask her.

"Of course, this is basically childs play, you know." She says with a hint of annoyance.

"Are you positive it can't be traced back to you?" I ask again for the hundredth time.

You see, I asked my new best friend to hack my parents' security system, mainly the video feed, and freeze it so that I can't be detected leaving again tonight. Amber told me I needed to give her the router number to the system, and she could do whatever I needed.

"My computer is encrypted so that anything I do on it can't be traced back to me. How many times do I need to tell you this?" She huffs out.

"Well, excuuuuuuse meee. Not everyone is genius level smart. I'm just making sure it doesn't come back to you."

"Which makes me beg the question, what the hell are you up to?" She asks again.

"I need to go in the next seven minutes. Are you ready?" I urge her.

"Almost done as we speak. I took a thirty second recording, and I'm going to play it on a loop until you get back. I just need to make sure there's nothing happening, like an animal walking by or something." She tells me.

I figured since I helped her with the whole computer thing at work, she would help me with this. I'm glad I wasn't wrong cause I didn't have much in the way of a backup plan. Sure, I could have just stayed at Jace's house and asked him to lie and say I was there all night, but I don't want to involve him. As someone who works for our security squad, it just seemed wrong.

Plus, if all doesn't go according to plan, Jace might just be the one who has to arrest me. That'll be fun.

"Okay, girl, you're good to go." She says.

"Remember the plan, leave your phone on, and be listening for me. I shouldn't be long." I tell her the plan again.

"I know! I'm not dense. You need it to look like we were talking the whole time, and if I'm brought in for questioning, I tell them that. Anything I'm missing?"