Lost Boys

Chapter 25
Azariah's pov

Everywhere i look, it's dark. I know i'm in the forest, but without the moon to guide me i'm lost. The darkness feels like it's trying to swallow me whole.

My bare feet feel every crunch of the leaves and twigs i step on, making the sound echo loudly all around me. For some reason i need to keep quiet, i just don't know that reason.

"Azariah, come back" I hear that ghastly voice call out. Part of me wants to go back, but my brain says it's a bad idea. I need to keep moving.

"Azariah, i won't hurt you, please come back" The voice is filled with sorrow, and i wish i had the nerve to find out why, but my feet keep moving me forward, away from whatever it is.

I see the river up ahead, and pick up my pace. I can find my way out of here if i follow it.

I get to the edge of the water, and look up and down, to determine which way its flowing. But it doesn't move. It's still as a stone. I can see my reflection on the flat waters surface. And what i see is more frightening than whatever it is that's chasing me. I'm wearing a short white sundress and my hair is pulled back with a white bow, but it's my eyes that are out of place.

There glowing, and the color isn't mine. Mine are blue, but whats looking back at me are green. I jump back quickly, not wanting to see this, something tells me i can't see this.

I turn to run but there's nowhere to go. I'm standing in the middle of the lake now, surrounded by water with only a small patch of dirt to stand on. What the hell is happening? I spin in circles, trying to find a way out of here.

Then i hear it, a clanking sound from right behind me. I know what it is without looking.

I lower myself to the ground, hugging my knees to my chest and i bury my face in them so i don't have to see it. I'm not sure how long i stay like this, but eventually my mind tells me it's safe to get up and make a run for it.

The second i lift my head and open my eyes it's there. Right in front of me. Mocking me.

The black box. The one with the chains secured tightly around it. The chains i put there myself, to keep whats inside exactly where it is.

It can't get out. It will destroy me if it does.

********************

I bolt upright in bed. Sweating and heaving, unable to catch my breath. Every draw of breath feels like fire going in, and I choke on the exhale.

Nightmares will do that to you of course.

It's times like this I wish I couldn't remember what I dream, but I do. Every single time.

This was no ordinary nightmare tho.

Because that black box exists. Not in the physical sense, but within myself. Deeply rooted where I put it years ago.