This Can't Be Real

Chapter 50
Micah's pov

I hang up the phone and scrub my hand down my face.

"Okay, that has to officially be the weirdest phone call ever," I tell Jace.

He gives me a puzzled look. "Wasn't that Azariah?" He asks.

It sure as hell was. How do I tell him what she was asking? And tell him that I basically outed him. "Ya, it was. She called to ask if we loved her."

He's looking at me with an unreadable expression. I can tell he's waiting for me to elaborate. Well, he might be pissed, but I'm sure Ehron will be happy and hopefully prevent him from killing me. "She wanted to know if you and I loved her in the same way." I look away when I tell him what he wants to know. "I told her I loved her like a sister. You? Not so much."

Jace goes to open his mouth, but the sound of car tires squealing interrupts him. We both look at his door and wait to see if she's about to come bursting in. After a few minutes of nothing happening, he gets up and pours himself another drink. He downs the entire glass in one go, then refills.

"I wonder what made her call and ask that?" He says, but I don't think it's a question he's looking for me to answer. Cause honestly, I have no clue.

"I'm not trying to make this worse, but she sounded upset. Like she'd been crying or something." I've never lied to him before, I'm not gonna start now.

Right now, I'm hoping for his sake, this is the wake-up call Azariah needs to see what's right in front of her. If he had just told her years ago, we wouldn't be having this conversation. He would have known then if there was a chance for them. Now, his feelings for her run so deep that I don't think he'll ever be with anyone else.

He comes back and sits on the couch, a full bottle of scotch in hand. I hold my glass out, and he fills it up. We sit like that for a while. Neither of us is saying a word. He and I were both lost in our own thoughts. Mine, of course, aren't really on his female problems. There on my own. The one thing I know for sure is that I won't wait like he did to say something. I just gotta figure out how to approach her. Maybe start with asking her on a date, I guess that's as good a beginning as any.

My thoughts are interrupted by my phone ringing. Again. And speaking of the devil..."Hey Amber. What's up?" I greet her.

What she says next has my blood running cold. I jump up and scream at Jace. "Get your fucking keys, we need to go." I put the phone on speaker so I don't have to repeat everything to him as we race out of his apartment.

"Amber, what do you mean she's hurt? How? Where the hell are you guys?" I frantically ask. But she's sobbing so hard I can't understand her. It sounds like she just said bioweapon? That can't be right. The next thing she says we both understand loud and clear. "She's gonna die. Oh, Goddess Micah, I can't save her. "

"TELL ME WHERE YOU ARE. " I shriek out while we get in Jace's truck. Fuck, I don't know if he's gonna be able to drive. I gesture to him, motioning for me to drive. He shakes his head no. And then the night takes another unexpected twist. Priya comes on the phone. She gives us directions to where they are. Jace gets on the highway and is going well over double the legal speed limit.

"Can someone please fucking tell me what happened" I yell into the phone.

"Well from what I know, and trust me it isn't much, Amber and Azariah were digging into some serious shit, involving another pack creating a bioweapon, and Amber went to get some evidence on her own, and got caught and called Azariah. So Azariah raced out here to save her, with me in the car in case thats not obvious. She got into a physical fight with the dude who was chasing Amber down to kill her, and she kicked his fucking ass too, but then he injected her with some shit, and now Amber is freaking out badly. Azariah keeps trying to tell us to leave." Priya rambles on and on. None of it makes sense to me or Jace.