Definitely Real

Chapter 38
Amber's pov

When I was younger, my mother used to tell me that it's better to have one true friend than a ton of fake ones.

She would tell me this every time I came home crying and asking her what was wrong with me. Why nobody liked me. At the time, her advice seemed ridiculous. Eventually, I stopped asking her, not wanting to hear the lame shit she always said.

Instead, I started spending my time playing with computers and studying. What else was I gonna do on a Friday or Saturday night anyway? It wasn't like I was getting invited to parties. I'm almost ashamed to admit my first party was Azariah's birthday.

I wish the younger me knew how right my mother was. It's not just Azariah's words that have shown me that she's really my friend. Her actions have proven that tenfold.

I know I shouldn't have laughed so hard at what she did. There's a part of me that should feel bad about what happened to Mike. That part must be missing because I can't for the life of me find it.

Since it's my turn to drive this week, I stopped and grabbed us breakfast. Real breakfast, too. Sausage and egg wraps, with hashbrowns. Of course, I got her a few of each, considering she's a bottomless pit. Good thing for her werewolves hardly ever get fat.

She gets in the car with me, and I hand over her breakfast. She holds it up, thoroughly examining it. "Ummm, no offense, but what the hell is this?" She asks.

"A healthy breakfast." I say reassuringly.

"I see that. Why?" She unwraps it and takes a bite. "Oh shit. It even tastes healthy."

A burst of laughter escapes my lips. "You can't just live on sugar, you know."

"Can and do." She shrugs. "I guess I'm supposed to say thank you. So, thanks."

"Just eat your damn breakfast and shut it." I tell her. "Unless you wanna talk about your late night activities Saturday."

The rest of the drive to work is spent with Azariah justifying herself. Not that she needs to, I'm in her corner after all. It's just funny hearing her reasoning behind it all. He's a piece of shit. A predator. She did all of woman kind a favor. And my personal favourite...he fucked with the wrong nerd.

Before we head in to work Azariah tells me about her search for missing wolves in the packs. The only ones she has left is Ambersy and Bloodmoon, and she needs some help with those. I point out that just because Zane's pack records didn't show anything, it may not have been reported. We try to come up with a plan as to how to get the information we need.

Later, I'm gonna see if I can access those records from my computer for the Ambersy pack, but there's not much I can do about the other two. Plus, I'm still busy trying to get through the lab files. I don't tell her, but I came accross a bunch of heavily encripted files, and it's taking longer to get into them than it should.

Whatever there trying to hide, there doing a damn good job of it. Which of course just makes me even more determined to to unlock this mystery. I promised myself that I wouldn't hide anything from Azariah again, and although I haven't, I didn't exactly tell her everything. I don't want to scare her just yet. Not until I'm completely sure that my theory is correct.

My theory? The blue meanies are designed to alter our DNA. Rather it's to make us stronger, or weaker, I have no clue. Or maybe it's something else entirely. But the fact that they absorbed themselves into a sample of my blood, is highly concerning. I've run some tests on the blood sample since then, and so far I can't find anything to suggest it did alter it. But then where the hell did they go?