Chapter 2

The students filled into the Great Hall, all going to grab seats at their tables before it was too late. The group of five managed to squeeze into seats near the middle of the table, waiting for the sorting ceremony to start.

Diana's stomach was grumbling, as the doors parted, and the first years came in, being led by Professor McGonagall. Professor McGonagall grabbed a stool and placed the hat on the stool. Diana couldn't help but remember her hat-sorting ceremony. The hat had picked her house almost seconds after being placed on her head.

"You are just like your aunt, Lily Evans. I can see it here. There is only one house for you, Gryffindor!" It had shouted.

The hat ripped a mouth and began to sign.

"Oh, you may not think I'm pretty, but don't judge on what you see. I'll eat myself if you can find A smarter hat than me. You can keep your bowlers black, Your top hats sleek and tall, For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat and I can cap them all. There's nothing hidden in your head The Sorting Hat can't see, so try me on and I will tell you Where you ought to be. You might belong in Gryffindor, Where dwell the brave at heart, Their daring, nerve, and chivalry Set Gryffindors apart; You might belong in Hufflepuff, Where they are just and loyal, Those patient Hufflepuffs are true And unafraid of toil; Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw, if you've a ready mind, Where those of wit and learning, Will always find their kind; Or perhaps in Slytherin You'll make your real friends, Those cunning folk use any means To achieve their ends. So put me on! Don't be afraid! And don't get in a flap! You're in safe hands (though I have none) For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

The whole hall burst into applause as Professor McGonagall stepped forward, holding a long piece of parchment.

"When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted, Abbott, Hannah!" A blond girl with pigtails walked up to the stool and sat down, Professor McGonagall put the hat on her head.

"HUFFLEPUFF!" The hat shouted the Hufflepuff table started cheering.

Finally, the moment Diana had been waiting for, Harry's name was called.

"Potter, did she say?"

"The Harry Potter?" People whispered as he walked by and sat on the stool. Professor McGonagall placed the hat on his head, and it slid down, covering his eyes. Diana felt like she was holding her breath as she watched Harry. She really wanted her little cousin in Gryffindor with her.

"Gryffindor!" The hat finally shouted; Diana jumped up, screaming with the others as her little cousin walked up to her table.

"We got Potter! We got Potter!" The Weasley twins shouted, as Harry walked up to Diana and sat next to her.

---

"Welcome. Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are, Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!" Professor Dumbledore said.

"Ah, the old man gets wiser every year," Fred said, nodding like he knew exactly what Dumbledore was saying.

"And you are wise?" Madlyn asked,

"I'm the wisest in my family. Everyone knows it," Fred said. George rolled his eyes as he put more food on Diana's plate.

"George," she said, shaking her head at him.

"Oh be quiet, I know you didn't have any food on the train, and I don't know if you had breakfast, so you get to have extra food on your plate."

"I did have breakfast," Diana muttered, her cheeks turning red.

"Hm, I find it hard to believe you," George said.

"What did you do over the summer?" Diana asked, changing the subject.

"Nothing really, we spent the summer playing quidditch. Charlie left for Romania"

"Charlie? How is he?" Diana asked, quickly. Diana had a massive crush on George's older brother, Charlie. George scowled, rolling his eyes, everyone knew that Diana had a crush on Charlie, and for some reason, he found it very annoying.

"Fine," George answered,

"I'm going to miss him. He always helped with my classes-"

"Anyway, what did you do?" George asked. He didn't want to listen to another ten minutes of Diana talking about Charlie.

Diana explained everything that happened to George over the summer, telling him all about the letters for Harry, and Hagrid coming to take Harry away.

"Hogwarts letters all the way to the ceiling?" George asked surprised. Diana nodded.

"Yes! It was wonderful! I thought my dad was going insane! But Harry got annoyed at me for keeping this secret." Diana explained,

"Who could ever be annoyed with you?" George asked teasingly.

"You'd be surprised with the number of people who are." Diana said,

"I still can't believe you grew up with Harry Potter," George said, looking over at Harry, who was talking to Seamus.

"I couldn't believe I grew up with him after hearing about what he had to go through." Diana laughed as she looked at Harry, noticing he was getting sleepy.

---

"Ahem — just a few more words now that we are all fed and watered. I have a few start-of-term notices to give you. First-years should note that the forest on the grounds is forbidden to all pupils. And a few of our older students would do well to remember that as well." Dumbledore said, his eyes wandering over to the Weasley twins.

"I have also been asked by Mr. Filch, the caretaker, to remind you all that no magic should be used between classes in the corridors. Quidditch trials will be held in the second week of the term. Anyone interested in playing for their house teams should contact Madam Hooch. And finally, I must tell you that this year, the third-floor corridor on the right-hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a very painful death." Dumbledore explained. A few people laughed, but everyone looked confused.

"And now, before we go to bed, let us sing the school song!" Dumbledore said cheerfully. Some of the student's and staff's smiles fell.

"Everyone pick their favorite tune and off we go!"

Everyone finished the song at different times. Only Fred and George were left. Diana glared at them. George winked at her as he finished, smiling.

"Ah, music. A magic beyond all we do here! And now, bedtime. Off you trot!" Dumbledore said, whipping a happy tear from his eyes as the students stood up and started walking to their common rooms and off to their beds, all to try to stay up and later.