Allow Me To Fall For You Again?

"What?" Alex asks.

"Do you think you could truly win me back? Allow me to fall for you again? To bear your children when I'm ready?"

"Is this some game to buy more time?" he asks suspiciously, though he feels his heart pounding with hope, "Are you afraid I'm going to harm Conrad or his family?"

"No," Nicole answers without hesitation.

She's trying to keep calm, but she's as rattled as ever. She knows that the entire physical examination was a cruel set-up so Alex could make her worry and suffer before going after Conrad.

"It's all my fault," she thinks, "Conrad was just an innocent doctor, and I've put his life at risk by asking him to do me a favor. I can't allow Alex to hurt him because of me."

"Then what's this about, hmm?"Alex asks.

He removes his hand from her neck and places it over hers on his cheek. He gently presses his hand onto hers, enjoying the warmth of her palm on his face. He feels at ease touching her.

She opens her mouth to answer the question, but she's interrupted by the ringing phone. John answers it and puts it on the speaker.

"Mr. John,  why did you hang up on me before?" asks the irritated voice of the cook, "I didn't get to finish answering. Mrs. Romano. ate all of those things because she cooked quiche for Mr. Romaml. She made an absolute mess of the kitchen, wasted dozens of eggs, and now the entire refrigerator is filled with boxes of quiche for Mr. Romano. I don't know what got into her head, but she seemed very driven to do it."

"How come you didn't mention anything?" Alex squints.

The fire in his eyes fades, replaced by wonder.

"Maybe she really didn't know about the eggs. Maybe she wasn't deceiving or betraying me," he thinks, "She made me one of my favorite foods."

Alex removes the fair hand from his cheek and gently kisses her palm.

"The Meyer's owe everything to this phone call," he thinks, "I would have burnt their hospital to the ground."

Nicole is relieved. She's so grateful to the cranky cook. If it wasn't for the phone call, Alex.probably would have choked her to death. She knows that no one in the room would have dared to intervene.

"You made quiche for me?" he asks.

"Not exactly," she hedges.

"You almost never cooked before," he observes.

"It was a whimsical thought," she says with a shrug.

"Are you trying to please me?" he asks, "Did you do this because you care for me?"

"It was just a random thought," she says.

He kisses her palm again. He gazes at her but speaks to Dr Meyer, "I heard about a special treat your family has just patented that works wonders for barren women."

"Yes, we believe we've developed a new, highly-effective treatment," Dr Meyer replies.

His tense shoulders relax; he knows Alex is going to forgive him and his son.

"I want that."

"Of course, I'll prescribe it right now," Meyer says, striding out of the room.

Nicole closes her eyes with exhaustion. She feels as if she's been on an emotional roller coaster—just a moment ago she was in grateful paradise, but now she's been plunged back into hell. She doesn't want whatever fertility treatment they'll prescribe her.