Disappointment is better than hopelessness

Alex holds Nicoe tightly in his arms and regards the crowd with a regal glare.

"I will show zero tolerance toward anyone who dares to touch Nicole," he announces.

Mrs. Candela presses her hand to her heart and slowly regains her composure.

"I know you didn't mean to offend me," she says, "You're worried about unborn baby in Nicole's belly, and I don't blame you. But listen, Alex. I want to have a great-grandson as much as you want to be a father, but I don't want you to trust her blindly. We need to be careful as we proceed."

Her tone and expression are worried. Although the pregnancy test confirmed that Nicole is pregnant, Mrs. Candela half suspects that Nicole is tricking them all. Mrs. Candela's words cut Nicole to the quick. Nicole clearly knows that she's not actually pregnant. She simply claimed the pregnancy to protect herself, and she planned on telling Alex the truth in private. Now that Mrs. Candela has publicly announced the pregnancy, she's lost her chance to properly explain things to Alex. Everyone will be furious when the truth gets out.

"You don't have to worry about it," Alex hisses, "I'll make sure everything checks out."

Nicole's back stiffens. Alex notices and begins to guide her toward the house. Behind her, Nicole can hear the guests murmuring; she turns around and sees they're all looking up and pointing at the sky.

"It's a beautiful picture of Alex and Nicole kissing each other," she hears one woman exclaims.

"Mr. Romano is the most romantic man I have ever seen," sighed another.

"Rumors are so terrible and I don't believe any of them anymore," says another, in tears.

"It's a romantic birthday for Nicole after all," says one malicious voice, "Gabriela invited so many people, but she still lost."

Nicole looks up at the sky, and she's stunned by the sight. In the sunset, hot-air balloons dot the sky. From each balloon, there's a large banner printed with a photo from a different year in her life. Nicole counts twenty-seven hot-air balloons floating around the house.

"Mrs. Romano, this is a birthday gift for you," Alex murmurs against her ear.

"How did you get the photos of me as a kid?" she asks.

"In order to find your photos, we almost tore the Newman's house apart," Alex replies, "That's how I found out that you used to take secret photos of other men."

John clears his throat and approaches the couple from behind.

"Mr. Romano wanted you to ride in that hot air balloon," John says, "It's said that the closer you are to the sky, the easier it is for God to hear your wish."

Nicole's eyes follow the direction of John's finger and she sees a hot air balloon with a picture of them kissing in the open-air restaurant at the Balito Hotel.

"But Mr. Romano said that you are pregnant and it's not suitable for you to do something so risky," John continues.

Nicole clears her throat. She wants to confess to Alex that she's not pregnant, but she can't work up the courage. She looks across the crowd and trembles to imagine their response to the truth. Instead, she looks up at Alex's chiseled face.

"Why are you back?" she asks.

"You don't want me back?" he says.

"I didn't say that," she responds, "I'm just wondering how your grandfather let you go so easily."

"Is there anything else you'd like to ask me?" Alez says, stopping suddenly.

"For example, did you miss me?" Alex thinks, "