Tables Turn

Nicole is standing in the center of the room covered in blood. Dried blood is smeared across her face and all over her clothes. She clenches something tightly in her fist and stares determinedly at Brownie, who is growling in the corner.

"Mrs. Romano," a servant screams.

She looks seriously injured, and they wonder how she's still standing. Gabriela is stunned; she can't believe that Nicole is still alive.

Alex feels a twitching in his heart. He crosses the room and pulls Nicole to him, firmly wrapping his arms around her. Terrified and exhausted, Nicole's strength gives out and she collapses in Alex's arms. Alex frowns deeply and hurries to check her for wounds.

"Are you hurt?" he asks.

Nicole feels dizzy and Alex's upset and worried voice seems to come from very far away.

"Is he worried for me?" she wonders.

Nicole doesn't reply.

Desperately, Alex raises his voice, "I asked are you hurt?"

The servants think he sounds like an insane man; he whirls on them and screams, "What the hell are you all doing standing there? Call a doctor. Now!"

Nicole slowly pulls herself from her trance.

"It's okay. He didn't hurt me," she whispers.

Brownie didn't attack her; he came for the beef. Afterward, he backed away from her. Shaken by his attack, she grabbed a lighter from her pocket and waved the flame in his face to discourage him from approaching her again. She knows that animals fear fire, but she had no idea Alex's lighter would save her life.

"You're not hurt?" Alex asks again.

"You sound disappointed," she murmurs.

"Don't even joke about that," he growls.

Dr. Walters appears by the door, carrying his kit. Several trained nurses follow him. David knows that Alex doesn't want him touching Nicole, so he orders a nurse to examine her for injuries. The nurse checks Nicole quickly and thoroughly and whispers something in David's ear.

David heaves a sigh of relief. Though Nicole is covered in blood, she's mostly unharmed.

David turns to Alex, "She wasn't seriously hurt. She has some scr.a.p.es, I'll see that they're attended to and I'll give her a rabies vaccination just in case."

"Are you sure?" Alex asks, still worried, "She's covered in blood."

"Mrs. Romano doesn't have any serious visible wounds," the nurse reassures Alex, "I believe it's cow's blood."

Alex is puzzled, "How did you get covered in cow's blood?"

Nicole tightens her hand around the metal lighter. The metallic stench of blood fills her nose and makes her feel faint.

She turns and points at Gabriela, "I think we'll have to ask Miss Montez."

Gaby freezes for a second but she quickly regains her composure, "How should I know? I'm not holding the tray."

Gaby glances meaningfully at the maid who was carrying the tray. The maid is shocked and confused. She has no idea why she fell so suddenly, but she has the distinct impression that she tripped on something.

"Did Gaby trip me?" the maid wonders, "But who would believe my word against hers? Gaby is a beloved guest invited by Alex's grandmother, and I don't have a shred of evidence against her."

The maid drops to her knees before Alex and Nicole, "I'm so so sorry Mr. and Mrs. Ramano, please forgive me."

Nicole closes her eyes.