Chosen Bride

Gabriela stands frozen in place. She wants to recoil from Nicole's touch, but she's scared Nicole will break her fingers. She feels the tendons in her finger strain painfully, and she flushes with anger.

"You're divorcing Alex—he isn't yours anymore," gabriela hisses, "So why can't I talk to you as his future wife? In a couple of days, Mrs. Romano will officially announce my status as a candidate for Alex's new wife, and we all know I'll win—I have more edge than other women."

Gabriela's edge is not innate. She'll beat the other woman because she's Mrs. Candela Romano's favorite, and the older woman will do everything in her power to see that Gabriela is chosen. Nicole stands up and looks down at Gabriela. She gives Gabriela a condescending look.

"Aren't you concerned about what Alex wants?" Nicole asks.

Although Gabriela has to look up to Nicole, she maintains her arrogance.

"Alex is away from you, and his grandfather is furious with you," Gabriela says, "Do you think you still stand a chance?"

Gabriela shoves Nicole heavily. In her weakened state, Nicole stumbles and falls onto the bed. Gabriela glances at the maids outside the door.

"No one can give her any food or water without my permission," Gabriela orders as if she's already the lady of the house.

Gabriela slams the door behind her, plunging the room into darkness. The smell of the fresh air soon fades, overwhelmed by the moldy, damp smell of the room. Nicole passes the time sleeping restlessly. Though it's been almost three days, she has no sense of how long she's been imprisoned. No one comes to check on her.

Hunger pangs wake Nicole. She hasn't had any food or water in three days. Her lips are so parched that they crack and scab. She stretches herself weakly and tries to get up to enjoy the thin beam of sunlight. Instead, she weakly rolls so the light touches her face. Half-dazed, she thinks of Alex's eyes and his pale, arrogant face. In spite of the pain, she smiles.

Her phone was confiscated when she was put into the room, and she has no idea what's happening in the outside world. When she's conscious she wonders if Alex will come home soon. The door suddenly opens while she's lost in a reverie. Maureen and two maids barge into the room.

"Time to come out," Maureen shouts, "Mrs. Candela wants to see you."

With perfect coordination, the maids grab her under the arms and drag her from the room. She doesn't have the strength to fight back because she hasn't eaten anything for three days. Reluctantly, she allows them to take her away. Quickly, they arrive at Mrs. Candela Romano's house.

"Mrs. Ramano, Nicole is here," Maureen announces.

Mrs. Romano is lounging in an antique rocking chair and drinking a cup of freshly made tea. Gabriela sits beside her, massaging her leg. She gives Nicole a subtle but malicious look.

"Will you admit you're wrong?" Mrs. Romano asks.

Nicole wobbles on her feet. Mrs. Candela's voice sounds like it's coming from far away. Nicole wonders if it's because she's starving or if something else is wrong with her. Struggling to focus, Nicole raises her chin defiantly.

"What difference would it make?" she asks.

Mrs. Romano is satisfied to see how weak and feeble Nicole has grown. She stands up slowly, favoring her sore leg.

"It doesn't make a difference anymore," she says imperiously, "I told you that you wouldn't be Alex's wife for much longer."

Nicole smiles faintly.