It's Me

Nick sat dazedly on the sofa, his mind was still trying to confirm the events of earlier, it had only been about an hour ago, but it felt like days. He was arguing with himself, a part of him was telling him that he had done the right thing letting her go. The other was calling him a coward, for not stopping her and trying to make things work. He raked his fingers through his hair and looked over at the sleeping girl on the opposite sofa.

He was happy she had finally fallen asleep, she had been crying ever since Raidyn had sped off.

What the hell was he going to do with a pregnant girl in his house? He had no idea, usually Raidyn was around to help her out, now he was responsible for her. A loud frustrated sigh escaped his mouth "I've gotta busy myself." he whispered, getting up and heading outside. "Come on Iggy..." he hollered, but the dog tilted his head, and looked at him confused.

"What? Are you mad at me too...great! Who isn't mad at me?" he threw his arms in the air.

"I'm not!" AJ piped coming up the stairs '"Dude you're talking to a dog!" he joined Nick on the deck and put a hand on his shoulder "You look like shit! What's up?"

They took a seat on the chairs outside, the seagulls squawking, and the crashing of the waves could be heard in the distance. Iggy huffed and curled up in a corner on the deck. "What's up...let's see. My mom is a pain in my ass...Ray just left me...we just found out that the mystery father of Mia's babies is none other than Ray's father..."

"What the hell?" AJ interrupted Nick, he looked at him wide eyed. "Ray's dad was screwing Mia? Oh that's just great...who the hell has she not screwed?"

"Cut the girl a break...she says that's not the way it happened. Of course Ray didn't believe her and she left a couple of hours ago. So, anyways...now..." he looked over his shoulder, making sure Mia was nowhere around. "I'm stuck taking care of a pregnant girl on bed rest in my house."

AJ couldn't help, but snicker at the distress on Nick's face "I'm sorry man...but you and a pregnant chic, is just hilarious. So all this shit happened this morning?"

Nick nodded his head, he let out another sigh. "Yup! And now, the dog hates me!"

"Well..." AJ knew it wasn't time for jokes, but he couldn't help himself "what do you expect, you scared his mother off...which I must say, was the longest lasting relationship you've had."

"Shut up!" Nick punched AJ's arm.

                                                               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wiping away the tears, Raidyn sat in the car, watching through the rearview mirror, as her coworkers entered the bank. God, she wanted to be as happy as they all looked. Closing her eyes, she pressed her forehead against the steering wheel, inhaling deeply, but it only made the tears flood her eyes.

It smells just like him in here...this is all a really bad dream. I'm going to open my eyes, and everyone I love is going to be with me. She snapped her eyes open, and looked around the car, realizing that everything was real. The humiliation at the ball. Breaking up with Nick. Mia and the babies. Everything was really happening.

She didn't know how she would get through the day with a straight face, but she had to do it. Even if there was a huge knot in her throat, the tears threatened to spill, and her mind was full of memories, the day would have to go on. As she exited the car, with a loud and deep sigh. She wondered where it had all gone wrong? Why had Mia done what she had done? Nothing made sense to her...nothing. She greeted everyone and made way to her station.

"Morning" she looked up at the familiar blue eyes, and quickly looked away. "Is everything alright?"

She tried hard not to make eye contact with him, she knew if she got his sympathetic look, the tears would flow again. "Yeah, I'm fine. Why do you always ask me that? Do I look that terrible?"