One Sad Day

He couldn't stop staring at her, she was beautiful, even when asleep. With a big grin he ran a finger over her paper skin, and felt her tiny hand clasp his finger, a chuckle escaped him as her mouth twisted into a yawn.

"They are beautiful!" a nurse startled him, as she brought in another bundle. The grin on his face was contagious and she returned the gesture "Have you two picked out names?" she questioned, setting down the baby boy.

"I believe their mother has..." she looked at him a bit puzzled, and he couldn't help from feeling awkward. If only she knew, that he had just found out his damn self, that he was a father. The thought reminded him of the severity of Mia's confession. He could have sworn that the paperwork she had shown them stated he was NOT the father.

How could she have kept such a secret? What was he supposed to tell Raidyn, now? Did it matter?

The squeal of the baby boy broke his chain of thoughts, and he realized that he was in the nursery all alone, again. "Shh..." he hovered over him and contemplated picking up the infant. The crying grew louder as the baby blindly moved its little head about, searching for something to put in his mouth.

"Shit!" Nick muttered, reaching in and taking the little body into his hands, he couldn't believe how tiny he was and how quickly the crying ceased. "It's ok...little man." he rocked him back and forth.

                                                                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raidyn wiped her sweaty palms on her jeans, as she stood at the open door of room 10. She was nervous, and didn't know exactly how she would start a conversation with Mia. Letting out a deep breath, she peered into the room. "Hi..." she whispered, clearing her throat, for a bit of courage, then said it louder "Hi"

Mia smiled instantly, "Hi...I can't believe you are here. Please, come in..." she motioned her to sit next to her, on the bed. "I'm so glad you are here." she couldn't stop smiling. Her prayers had been answered, she had been praying and hoping that Raidyn would find it in herself to come and see her. Although, her happiness wouldn't last too long, once she came out with her biggest secret.

Quickly she took hold of Raidyn's hand, as she felt her sit down, next to her. "You look...really tired. I don't want to keep you from resting, I just thought I would come and let you know, that I confronted my dad and even mom...I feel so bad that I didn't believe you." her gaze fell to the floor.

"It's ok! I deserved it, it's not like I had the best reputation." Mia gave her hand a squeeze and flashed a nervous smile. "No one wants to know that their father is a bad guy." She bit her lip, knowing that she had to break the news, it was better for her to say it, before Nick or anyone else came bursting through the door. "Ray...there is something else very important I need to tell you."

Raidyn slid off the bed, and looked at Mia a bit puzzled.

Does she ever run out of secrets to reveal? Why don't I feel good about this? Shit! "Can I go meet my niece and nephew and then you tell me. I'm anxious to see who they look like, I'm hoping not like...because that would just be..."

"Their not your dad's..." Mia had said it, before she could think it through. Her heart was racing, as she saw Raidyn's expression, darken. She licked her lips and swallowed the knot that was lodge in her throat, "They aren't AJ's either...they're..."

Oh god no! Raidyn shook her head in disbelief, "No..." she mumbled. Although Mia hadn't said the name, she knew, there was only one candidate left. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, it's not like there isn't a whole other list of possible men. Right? It can't be Nick...please tell me...it's not.