3.

MATEO

I glared at the screen, reading the email from my cyber security team. The same thing happened again— someone entered our systems and corrupted them all.

I grind my teeth while reading through the whole damage assessment my cyber team did. This wasn't the first time that something like this had happened. This was becoming almost routine by now. Despite all our efforts, someone always found a way around all our security checks, and this was now starting to grate on my nerves.

So far, we have a list of culprits who could be behind this. The list consisted of three names. I would hunt them all down at any cost and make them regret their whole life. I'd ensure they died the slowest deaths, begging and crying for the quickest way out, but they wouldn't have it.

No one ever crossed me and got away with it. I always hunted them down and gave them the most torturous death so they wouldn't dare to be born again.

Before I could drive my fist through the screen, my phone rang up. I scowled and picked it up.

"Cross Jeremy off the list," Hunter, my brother, spoke first. I cocked an eyebrow and leaned back in my chair.

"You killed him?" I asked, intrigued. Jeremy was one of our three main suspects.

"Nah, he killed himself," Hunter responded, a tone of amusement in his voice. I clenched my teeth. In times like these, I wouldn't say I liked humour a lot. "But, before he took himself out, he tipped us,"

"Really?" I asked, "Who is it then? Florence?" It was another one of our suspects. In response, Hunter chuckled.

"Florence is dead too. Someone else took him out," Hunter spoke, his voice dark and cynical. "At this point, you can guess correctly who it could be,"

"Morgan," I breathed. It was a hacker no one had ever seen. No one knew who Morgan was, where he or she lived, what was their real name and most importantly, why they were targeting us. But I knew one thing— It was Morgan all along. Jeremy and Florence were notorious hackers, but they didn't have it in them to play such pranks on us.

Deep down, I had known subconsciously that it was Morgan, but I had sent my brother after Jeremy and Florence just to be sure.

"That fucker," Hunter muttered.

"Have you found something about him?" I asked.

"Nothing, but we can be sure now that it had been him all along," Hunter confirmed, and I agreed. Whoever this Morgan was, they were good at what they did, so good that even my cyber team, who were supposed to be the best in the country, couldn't find Morgan.

Despite my frustration and anger at him for continuously attacking us, I was impressed at Morgan's skill. They seemed to know what they were doing, and they did it well. If they weren't against us, I'd have paid them millions to work for us.

This made me more curious about Morgan and even more restless to find him. They had proven that their skills were the best in the country, and if we failed to find them in time, they could bring us down singlehandedly. I wasn't going to allow that.

"And what did Jeremy tip you exactly?" I asked.

"Jeremy had been trying to find out about Morgan for years, and so far, he told me that Morgan is a girl and she's from somewhere around the south coast,"

"A girl," I gritted.

"A she-wolf," Hunter mused, making the fire burn harder in my chest. I was now more determined than ever to hunt her down. I wasn't going to let a she-wolf destroy us. And once she had been caught, I'd make sure she regretted messing with us.

"What else?" I probed just to be sure.

"Nothing much. I'll be back by evening after I finish the business here properly," Hunter told me, and in the background, I could hear a few of our men talking and breaking things. They must be tearing Jeremy's home apart to find other important things.

"Come back asap. I'll find this she-wolf soon," I declared, making Hunter chuckle.

"Promise me, you'll share her with me. I'd like to have a piece of her, too. After all, she had kept us on our toes for a while," Hunter chuckled. I knew what he really meant by that. I didn't know why, but I was more interested in hunting down Morgan.

"Morgan would wish she were dead," I growled.

"She must have nerves of steel to mess with us," Hunter commented after barking a few orders at one of the men in the background. "To mess with the two of us and not once, but numerous times and doing this for years without us ever being able to find out anything about her," He spoke what I had been thinking about all this time. "You've got to give it to her for that,"

"We have to find her soon," I stated before he could go on about her, "Because Jeremy and Florence are out. This might have alerted her,"

"I know. I'm tearing down everything in Jeremy's house to see what else he found out about her," Hunter told me. "Gotta go now. See you tonight, brother," With that, he disconnected the call. Immediately, I messaged my team and told them everything Hunter said to me about Morgan.

In the meantime, I could only wait for them to continue their investigation and for Hunter to return. And this was the part which I hated the most— waiting.

I was the most patient man, but lately, my wolf had been acting strange. I sighed deeply and checked the time. It was about to be five in the morning. I hadn't slept all night because my wolf had been quite active inside me, not letting me sleep.

It was as if he was trying to tell me something, but whenever I'd try to talk to him, he'd shut me down. This had never happened before. I had always been in sync with my wolf. Something was making it act strange, and I didn't know what it could be.

Maybe I should visit the old witch who lived in the woods. She knew everything— one of the reasons why we never fucked with her and let her stay in our territory even though she wasn't a member of our pack. She'd throw us a bone once in a while, and that was all that constituted our symbiotic relationship.

I got up and decided to try to take a nap even though I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep. I left the office and went to the house I shared with my brother. I went to my bathroom and stripped before taking a cold shower.

I sucked in a sharp breath as the cold water hit my body, pricking my skin like a thousand needles. The discomfort eased out in a couple of seconds, and my muscles relaxed while I felt the water run down my body.

"We're coming for you, Morgan,"

~

please comment and let me know how you're liking the story so far.

follow me and add this book to your library for regular updates.

Update schedule - Mon, Wed and Fri

read the next 10+ chapters on Patreon. The link is in my bio. 

thanks for reading <3