48.

MYRA

Back into my room, I slipped under the covers and stayed there for hours, hiding. I silently cried there for a while, unable to stop myself. The memories from those dark days came back in waves, shaking me to the core.

It was all I could think of for the rest of the night. I remembered the day when the officials from the orphanage had shown up to take me back. I had never felt such a soul-crushing disappointment and hurt before. I felt cosmically abandoned. As if no one ever wanted me and would never want me ever.

It was the first time I had felt something so intensely. Sure, I had been abandoned by two lovers as they found their mates, but feeling that intense emotion for the first time while I was still a kid changed me forever.

But apart from my pain, I kept thinking of Hunter's words as well. He had said that he had lost his wolf due to the shock. That must've been really, really terrible. It was rare to survive after someone lost their wolf. It must've been hell for him to have something like that happen to him as a kid.

Even if I didn't want to, I was starting to feel guilty for screaming at him and leaving like that. After all, they had lost their parents and unborn sister so abruptly. It must've been pretty devastating for them, too. I wasn't aware of this fact before but knowing it now, changed some things despite my dislike.

I wanted to hate those brothers brutally and destroy them, but day by day, I found more reasons to not do terrible things to them. My heart ached for them after knowing the truth, especially after what Hunter told me. I wasn't the only person affected by this.

They had suffered a great deal, too and were continuing to suffer. I got too blinded by my suffering and the thirst for revenge.

I didn't realise when I drifted to sleep while thinking about the three of us. It was a messy situation, and as much as I wanted to think rationally, all the years of emotions I had been bottling away were surfacing, and it was ugly. I didn't want to face the brother and make a fool of myself. I needed to calm down and think more and...and...and...dream...

"That's quite a lot, but I hear you," the moon goddess's voice floated behind me, making my hair stand up at the nape of my neck.

"Thanks for listening," I sighed deeply.

"I will see what I can do," She told me, her voice hardened all of a sudden, "But I have a condition,"

I froze. A condition.

Of course. What did I expect? That I could just summon a goddess and ask her for a mate, and that will happen all like that? No. Everything came at a price.

"What condition?" I asked.

"It's simple but might not be easy for you..." She trailed off, her voice somewhat unfocused. "Whatever I must give you, you shall accept without a question,"

I found her words strange. Everyone accepted their mates. I had hardly heard of rejection. They happened, but they were pretty rare. For a moment, I wondered if I'd become one of those unfortunate ones. My heart ached. No. I wouldn't be able to bear that. The idea scared me.

"I will accept my mate," I promised the moon goddess.

"You must keep your word," She stated darkly, stepping closer to me. A chill ran down my spine, followed by a moment of weakness, making me drop to my knees.

"I...I will," I breathed, slowly losing my vision.

"Sleep, my child. Get all the sleep you can before they find you," She whispered before disappearing.

I gasped for air as if someone had been holding me underwater for a long time. However, no matter how hard I tried to breathe, my lungs didn't seem to be in a mood to cooperate. It felt like my lungs were collapsing on me.

I couldn't focus on anything but how I felt out of breath, and it felt like I was drowning even after being outside of the water. A lot of commotion happened around me before someone tried to cover my nose. I fought them hard, screaming at the top of my lungs.

Whoever they were, they didn't want me to breathe, and I wouldn't allow that. I punched my cybernetic hand straight to their face and heard a loud thump, but soon after, more arms were holding me down before a mask was put on my face.

As soon as my breathing eased, I stopped struggling. My lungs were working again, and I felt like I could think straight, as if the world wasn't closing in on me, making me feel claustrophobic.

When my vision cleared, I saw several nurses and some docs from the pack's hospital in my room, surrounding my bed. Along with them were Hunter and Mateo, looking at me with eyes full of concern while one of the doctors explained something to them with a severe face.

I tried to tune in, but all I heard from the conversation were a few words— lungs, fire, smoke and many other things. But that wasn't what I was focused on. I was focused on the brothers while the dream I was seeing came back to me. I had promised the moon goddess that I'd accept whatever she chose for me. I had forgotten that part.

I didn't keep my word. I... I tried to go against her, and all this was nothing but her way of punishing me for not holding my side of the bargain. Suddenly, everything made sense. I was the one to do this to myself. Of course. Who else could it be?

It was on my shoulders now to clean this up... or else things could worsen.

~

Myra is being punished for not following through on her promise to the moon goddess. Now let's see how she deals with the mess.

Read the next 30+ chapters along with daily updates on Patreon. The link is in my bio.

Thanks for reading <3