26.

MATEO

I woke up to a splitting pain in my head, wondering how the fuck I got that. My vision was blurry, no matter how hard I tried to focus. I tried to recall how I got that pain, but I couldn't come up with anything.

The more I tried to force myself to remember, the more my head hurt. My wolf should've been busy mending it, but he was silent. Awfully silent. It was unsettling to an extent.

"Mateo," A voice spoke beside me, "Are you alright?" I didn't miss the cautiousness in the question. It took me a few seconds to realise it was Fidel.

"My head is splitting," I growled, "How did it happen?" I asked. Talking seemed to make the pain worse, but I'd rather have the answers than suffer silently.

"You were caught in an explosion while tracking a location," he explained. "I have some meds if your pain is worse," He offered, but something in his words didn't feel right.

"I never need to take meds," I gritted, "Why isn't my wolf healing me?" I demanded, and he went reticent. By now, my vision had started to clear significantly, and I could see that we were back in our pack, and I was presently in our pack hospital.

"Well... the injury was intense. You lost a lot of blood, too," He explained, but I could tell he wasn't speaking the whole truth. Fidel was one of my most trusted men, and he had worked with me for a long time, but ever since Myra, there had been a divide between us.

Myra...

I last remembered going to a location with Hunter and Rory. After that, everything in my memory was blank. The location was where Myra had called from, and I remembered being overly optimistic about finding her there.

"Did we find Myra?" I asked as soon as I started remembering everything.

"Yes," He answered cautiously.

"Where's she?" I demanded, sitting up and instantly, the pain intensified in my head, but that didn't matter. "I need to see her,"

"Matt, calm down. It would be best if you rested," Fidel said, trying to fuss over me, but I set him straight with a glare.

"Where is Myra?" I growled. "What happened to her? Are you still trying to get back with her?" I demanded. So many questions floated in my head, and I felt overwhelmed by all of them. I needed the answer to everything all at once; otherwise, it felt like I would lose my mind. I needed to see Myra, talk to her, and tell her how much she meant to me and how I'd forever cherish her no matter what. I'd beg her to be with me if that's what she'd ask of me. I was ready to do anything for her.

Any fucking thing.

Fidel looked more uncomfortable at my questions, making me want to rip his face off. The image of Myra laughing with him that night flashed before my eyes, making my heart burn with jealousy. I was willing to get rid of him if it meant I'd get to keep Myra to myself.

"Well... it's a long story, and no, I'm not dating her. I never had anything going on with her. I had asked her to show me around since she seemed to be a local. That's all. Everything she told you other than that was a lie. I'd never dare to take your mate, Alpha. I know my place," Fidel told me sincerely while I stared at him grimly.

Even though I was still pissed at him for finding Myra first, I forgave him. It wasn't his fault that he'd found Myra first. If anything, he had done me a favour by inviting Myra to the party that night. Otherwise, I'd have never met her.

"My wolf is possessive," I told him, and he nodded in understanding.

"Serving you is the most honourable thing to me, Alpha. I'd never disrespect you or cheat you in any way. I respect Myra as our future Luna, and I'm looking forward to serving her," He stated firmly, his voice grim and professional. I nodded, feeling satisfied with that.

"But where's she?" I pressed, and immediately, the grim expression on his face faltered. He looked unsure, not looking me directly in the eye.

"She's sleeping," He answered curtly.

"She's here?" I asked, surprised and optimistic. He nodded reluctantly before standing up. "I'll go inform Hunter that you're awake. He can explain better," Fidel muttered, leaving the room abruptly before I could ask him more questions. This added to the existing uneasy feeling inside me.

After a couple of seconds, Hunter entered the room. The first thing I noticed was how tired he looked. He seemed to have aged twenty years since I was last awake. His eyes lit up gently when he saw me.

"Matt, you're awake," He spoke in relief.

"Of course I am. How long I had been out?" I asked while he sat beside me.

"Three days," He answered.

"What? I don't—"

"You hurt your head severely, brother. You were the second closest to the explosion," He told me, a dark look on his face.

"And who was the closest?" I had to ask, especially after seeing the look on his face. Before he could answer, I knew what it was going to be.

"Myra," He answered, defeat in his voice. My heart stopped, and I stared at him in distress. There was a strange look on his face as he stared at me.

"I need to see her," I demanded, trying to get out of bed, but he pushed me back.

"She's unconscious," Hunter gritted. "And you need to rest too,"

"I cannot rest until I see her! I cannot even feel my wolf, Hunter!" I roared, simmering with frustration and angst. It felt like I wouldn't be at peace until I saw her myself.

"It's not only you, Matt. My wolf has been quiet, too!" She growled back, his eyes red with angry tears. He looked on the verge of breaking, making me stop for a second. He must've been taking care of everything ever since the explosion. I shouldn't have been so hard on him, but I couldn't help myself. The urge to see my mate eroded my rationality.

"What do you mean by that?" I demanded.

"We have the same mate, Matt," Hunter replied. "Myra is my mate too,"

~

The moment everyone had been waiting for. Now it's turn for Myra to freak out after she wakes up.

Read daily updates on Patreon. The link is in my bio.

thanks for reading <3