53.

HUNTER

I stared at the screen, reviewing the recent progress reports on the offshore accounts. We had finally managed to salvage some big ones, and the other ones were in the process of being salvaged.

It was one of the best ways to take my mind off Myra. Even though I was concerned about her health, I was somewhat relieved at the moment that Mateo was beside her, looking after her. After the incident last night, I had wanted to stay at her side, but sensing Mateo's distress, I decided to leave him alone with her.

He needed her more at the moment. And I? I needed some time to think, calm down my racing thoughts, and get a hold over all my emotions before facing her again.

Until then, I focused on work, and well, after weeks of inactivity, there were some interesting updates. Not the kind that pleased me, though.

All the damage Morgan had done a couple of months ago was finally being dealt with. However, Morgan struck again when I thought we were on top of things.

This time, however, she had crossed the line by selling intel to the Drakkons of the Arctic. They were our sworn enemies but equally powerful. There had been enough wars in the past between us, and finally, after enough bloodshed, a treaty was signed that ensured that we never crossed paths again in any way.

However, by selling our intel to them, Morgan was trying to stir some shit between us. This would finally be the last straw that broke the camel's back. Due to Myra's weak health, we couldn't focus on our investigation. Also, It wasn't like we had many clues on Morgan yet.

The only person who could tell us about Morgan was Myra, but I didn't want to stress her out by talking about such things. Mateo also felt the same, and it was the only thing holding us back. Whatever the fuck was happening out there, Myra's health and well-being were the number one thing for us, and we weren't going to compromise with that... but with Morgan's recent shenanigans, I was afraid we needed to have a serious conversation with Myra soon.

I sighed deeply as I looked through all the reports one of our moles sent in the Drakkon territory. After going through them, it seemed like Morgan was trying to ally with them. This meant big trouble. From the kind of intel that she sold them, it was clear that she was trying to incite them against us.

Morgan was playing a dangerous game. The kind of game that could put the whole continent in danger.

I wondered if this move was the reaction to our brief expedition in the South to find her out. That must've left her in a sour mood.

However, all this proved one of my previous hypotheses wrong— Myra being Morgan. Myra wasn't Morgan, after all. But I still believed Myra knew something important about Morgan, and she had been in contact with her. Maybe it was Morgan who put Myra in danger.

The explosion was still a big mystery, and we had yet to get any proper clue about it. Again, we knew Myra could tell us a lot more, but we hesitated to talk to her. I didn't know how she'd react to that. I wanted her to rest and not worry about a thing.

I knew she was still adjusting to the idea of having a cybernetic arm. In such a situation, the last thing I wanted was to talk to her about the explosion. But the situation was tense, and we needed some clue soon, or there'd be wars.

~

When I went home, Mateo was in the office while Myra was sleeping peacefully in her room, her vitals seemingly normal. Mateo seemed to be in a better mood until I told him about the recent developments. It enraged him because the last thing we wanted was to deal with the Drakkons.

"We should talk to her," I urged, "I know she's weak and needs some more time to accept her new arm, but Morgan is planning something that could break the treaty. She's pushing our limits," I told him. He nodded, but there was still reluctance in his eyes.

"Did you two talk?" I asked after a couple of moments. I had left the two alone, hoping that Myra would also start to bond with him. In the past couple of weeks, she had avoided him at all costs, and it hurt me to see my brother in such a state.

"We spent some time together," He nodded, his eyes slightly dark. I knew what he meant by that and offered him a smile. "She didn't forgive me yet, but we're talking finally," He clarified before I could comment. I nodded, satisfied with the progress the two had made. It loosened a few knots in my chest.

"I'm glad to hear that," I said, "But I think it's about time we talk to her about Morgan," In response, Mateo rubbed his chin, deep in his thoughts. I could tell that he was weighing the options. There were no fucking options. We needed to stop Morgan from dragging the Drakkons into this.

"Give her a few more days," He told me. "Let her be stable properly, and then we'll talk about it,"

I grunted, feeling restless, but at the same time, I couldn't deny that he was right. After seeing Myra's condition last night, I thought giving her a few more days to gather her strength would be best. Despite that, the situation was still tense due to the failed talk at dinner. It kept lingering in my head until I couldn't ignore it anymore.

"Did you pay them a visit?" Matt asked, reading my emotions.

"No," I sighed deeply, thinking about our mother.

"Go see her if it's bothering you too much," He urged. "I don't want you slipping into darkness again,"

"I'll think about it," I grumbled and went into my room for some time alone.

~

Now that both the brothers have gotten a taste of her, how do you think they're going to react upon finding out that she's Morgan?

Can't wait to find that out. Head over to Patreon to read the next 30+ chapters. The link is in my bio.

Thanks for reading <3