60.

HUNTER

"What is it?" I asked.

"It's snowdust," Myra answered. "Also known as Frosterium. It's said to give one superpower. The Drakkons snort it to survive in the Arctic. At least, this is what I figured out after intercepting Rikkard's messages with the Weddard Witches,"

"Damn, he really is up to something if he's working with the witches," I couldn't help but comment. I knew little about the Weddard Witches, and most of those things weren't good.

"The Weddards love him," Myra chuckled. "As I said, Rikkard isn't as mad as he seems. He works differently than the rest. Just because he lives on the edge of the land doesn't mean he's disconnected. No. It helps him avoid the noise and do his own thing without interference. He has changed Winter Court ever since he overthrew his father and declared himself the Alpha,"

"You speak too fondly of him," Mateo noted.

"All I'm saying is that everyone has undermined him so far, and he's taking full advantage of it," Myra shrugged.

"But how can we be sure that the thing about snowdust is true?" Mateo questioned. "It could all be made up," Mateo was right. All this could be made up to throw off anyone snooping around, but Myra chuckled in the backseat.

"As I said, I know the Weddards. I've worked for them a couple of times," She replied.

"Do you have anything on them?" I asked, hopeful. She had snooped into everyone's businesses. I hoped Myra had something on them as well.

"No. I'd never snoop on a Witch, especially a Weddard," Myra replied, shaking her head. "It's not worth it,"

"But you snooped this one time to know about the Snow dust?" I questioned.

"I found it while snooping around Rikkard's data. I was surprised to find his communication with them, especially the frequentness," Myra spoke, lost in her thoughts.

"What's his actual plan? What's after he sails with his navy to the Arctic? Is he ready to fight the Drakkons there?" Mateo asked. "He'd be burned to crisp even before he steps foot on their land,"

"The snow dust can be mined from a couple of places in the Arctic. The first place lies in the Drakkon's territory. That's not where he's going. He's going to the place at the Arctic's edge, almost close to the boundaries agreed in the treaty. However, the source is under an iceberg," She said, deep in her thoughts. I exchanged a look with Mateo to ensure he thought the same thing.

~

The rest of the journey was quiet. Myra dozed in the back seat while Mateo took the wheel. It was almost getting dark, but we were close to the place Myra had told us about. We stopped only a couple of times at a gas station and a roadside diner to eat before hitting the road again without wasting any second.

"It's been a long time since I've been here," She whispered in the backseat when we entered the hilly region of Vestbroke, staring out of the windows. We drove uphill for half an hour before stopping in front of an abandoned manor. The building had never been renovated and almost looked haunted. Its vintage design added to its dark aura.

Myra got out of the car before we could. Matt gave out a threatening growl, but I quickly followed her while Matt parked the car. It was completely dark by now, and there was no light around. However, we could see in the dark.

I walked through the overgrown grass in the front of the house. A cobblestone path had been there, but it was under a thick layer of mud and overgrowth. When I stepped on the porch, I found Myra standing in front of the door, frozen like a statue.

"Myra," I called for her, touching her shoulder. She shuddered and turned around, her eyes wide with horror.

"Something is wrong," She whispered, terror laced in her voice. My breath hitched. I heard Mateo freeze on the porch stairs behind me. I grabbed her by the waist and took her off the porch without thinking.

This had happened before, and we wouldn't repeat this mistake. Mateo immediately started rounding the house to ensure we weren't walking into a trap like last time.

"It's not going to blow up," Myra protested, but I wouldn't listen to her. Her safety was our utmost priority. We weren't going to mess it up this time. She made a noise of protest when I hauled her back to the car.

"My defence system is still active," she tried to convince me, "But I saw signs on the door. Someone had tried to open it,"

"Doesn't matter. Matt will be checking the place first," I told her firmly. She narrowed her eyes at me.

"Wouldn't you go help your brother?" She asked, crossing her arms on her chest.

"Someone needs to keep an eye on you all time, pussy cat," I smirked, knowing her well. She glared at me, stirring my wolf. I wanted to grab and kiss her fiercely, but Matt gave us the clearance to return there. I couldn't help myself, so I swept her in my arms and gave her a short, fiery peck that had her huffing.

"That was terrible," She complained.

"So terrible I could smell the hints of your arousal," I chuckled, earning a murderous glare from her, but I felt her wolf lingering beneath the surface, excited and ready to play with me. I also wanted to play with her, but that'd have to wait.

Matt was waiting on the porch when we went back. He gave us a lingering look, scenting her, and I flashed him a smile. Myra pushed out of my arms and unlocked the door by typing the password on a screen hidden behind a rotting wooden panel on the wall.

The door opened with a hiss instead of a rusty groan that I had been expecting from the looks of it. But before she could step inside, Matt entered the house and scanned the insides. Myra sighed deeply while I held her arm in case she was planning to bolt inside and put herself in any danger awaiting us inside.

When my brother gave clearance, I took her inside, never letting go of her arm.

"The servers are in the basement," she said, "That way," she pointed to the left hall. We walked there, Mateo taking the lead and looking around for danger. Meanwhile, I kept our back clear and kept a hold on Myra.

Myra stopped abruptly by a broom closet and opened it. I stepped beside her, ready to put myself before her in case anything exploded. Myra made an annoyed noise, but I ignored her.

"These are the defence system monitors," she said, shoving me aside. A red laser scanned her, and an alarm rang somewhere. "What the fuck?" She frowned.

"What was that?" I asked her. A screen lit up in the darkness, showing only two horizontal lines.

"Fuck, no, no, no," Myra panicked, punching buttons and tapping the screen again and again. However, the horizontal lines never left the screen.

"Hunter!" Matt called out for me from somewhere in the house. Myra was still occupied with the computer, cursing under her breath. "Come see this!"

"Are you in the basement?" I asked. Myra punched the computer with her cybernetic arm, but nothing happened. It had been corrupted to the point that nothing worked.

"Yes, take the door on the left past the stairs," He called out. Myra abandoned the computer, and we headed towards the basement door. This time, I let Myra walk ahead. Meanwhile, I always checked our back in case anyone was upstairs and wanted to surprise us.

I found Mateo at the bottom of the stairs in the basement. He went upstairs to keep guard while I turned to see an empty basement. Myra stood in the centre, clutching her hair.

~

Her servers, with all the important things she had collected over the years, are gone. Who do you think could've taken it?

Read the next 30+ chapters on Patreon, along with daily updates. The link is in my bio.

Thanks for reading <3